After snow leopard, airport horrible

Reaction score
Ok, I am getting very annoyed. I recently installed Snow Leopard, and airport began to get screwy. The strange thing is that it only happens at one house; the other place works fine. Anyway, at this house I get the internet on my Macbook from an iMac with snow leopard, with internet sharing on. The problem also occurs when i try to use my neighbor's internet.

When i try to connect, one of two things happens.
Sometimes, it will connect to the network, showing full bars, and then a few seconds later say "Alert: No internet connection" under the airport menu bar.
Other times, it will just keep attempting to connect, and fail.

I've looked this up for hours and found solutions that seem to have worked for other people. I tried creating a new network location, deleting certain PLIST files, making a new airport connection in a location, turning airport on and off, and restarting the computer.

Any ideas on what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If it works in one place and not the next don't blame Leopard or Snow Leopard but look to Network settings. Airport Menubar indicator shows signal strength not an indication that all settings are OK.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thats the thing, though, I've completely reset all the network settings and I am still having problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Maybe your just out of range or its the sources of your network connection not you. What Collin said, if it works in 1 place and not another usually its a router or connection problem between the 2 devices. I've had a few routers go bad on me.

OP
D
Reaction score
Maybe your just out of range or its the sources of your network connection not you. What Collin said, if it works in 1 place and not another usually its a router or connection problem between the 2 devices. I've had a few routers go bad on me.

I'm sitting right next to the imac sending out the network :\

Is there a chance a clean install would work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Its quite possible that you may have gotten some bug somewhere in the code or something but not likely. You can try it if its quicker to do so.

Reaction score
smae proble

im having the exact same problem. i dont beleive that the router is to blame. it all worked fine till i upgraded to SL. any help would be great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Have you done any changes to the iMac as well?
elseway, reset network settings on your iMac, re-do the internetsharing-function.
Make sure your macbook has internet sharing on as well.

Hope it helps for you

Reaction score
Similar Problem

I upgraded to Snow Leopard, no other change.

I am ~12 feet line-of-sight to my Airport Express which acts as a WDS remote for my Airport Extreme Base Station in another room.

Before Snow Leopard I showed 4 bars; on very rare occasion 3 bars.

With Snow Leopard I show 2 bars.

There have been no obvious overt other symptoms. Yet.

Anyone know how to determine whether my Macbook is sending wireless packets through the WDS remote as opposed to the WDS main? I'm thinking maybe I'm no longer talking to the Airport Express in this room, and am instead talking to the WDS main Airport Extreme in the far room.

Yes, I have verified that the Airport Express in this room is up, running, and happy. Both remote and main are set to 802.11g only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.