Extend iMac Display with 32" LCD

Reaction score
I have read some of the other threads here about extending displays, but my question is a bit different I think. I have a 2006 iMac (Intel Core Duo) with a 17" monitor. I just connected it to a 32" 720p LCD HDTV. My intent is to extend my desktop for more workable space. I need to have several things open and visable at one time.

The problem is this. The windows are so large on the TV display. I want to be able to have several things open (i.e., say 3 Safari browsers) and a couple other items without having any overlapping of windows. I can open several, obviously and size them all smaller to fit without overlap, but the info on the pages don't scale down much so it makes it hard to navigate the pages in each browser.

The only thing I really knew what to do was to change the resolution on the TV. By the way, I am connected via VGA cable (that is, mini dvi to VGA adapter to VGA).

I thought the resolution choice at the bottom of the resolutions window (in Display preferences) would yield the smallest window sizes. At least that's what is true on the iMac. The resolution at the bottom of the VGA/TV display says 1920 x 1440 60 Hz. If I select this, the screen just flickers blue and then resets to the highest setting I've been able to make work, which is 1400 x 1050 60 Hz.

On my iMac, the resolution is set at 1440 x 900.

I do not need to see from far back. The TV is sitting on my desk right next to the iMac. So, in short, I'm trying to figure out how to make things smaller on the TV so I can have more things open/visable on the screen in an easy to use, workable format.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forums. You can change the physical size of the windows by grabbing the 'cross hatch' in lower right corner and click hold and drag - in the windows you change the font by going into Safari/Preferences/Appearance and choosing font that works for you. If you need another resolution then System Prefs/Displays gives choices over each monitor. Hope that is what u are looking for.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes. Those are all the things that I have been doing.

When I change the physical size of the windows with the cross hatch, the window gets smaller but the content on the pages do not move with the resizing of the windows.

On the iMac, the content resizes and moves with the resizing of the windows. Does that make sense what I'm saying?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You have a 720p TV. The highest resolution it is going to display is 1360x768 - the native resolution for practically all 720p LCDs. Even while you are sending it a signal at 1400 x 1050, the TV is still resizing it to it's highest native resolution of 1360x768.

It will do no good to set a higher resolution, and probably would not accept it anyway - which is why you're getting just the flickering when you try.

Your only option is going to be using Safari Preferences and adjust the font sizes under the Appearance tab.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do not need to see from far back. The TV is sitting on my desk right next to the iMac. So, in short, I'm trying to figure out how to make things smaller on the TV so I can have more things open/visable on the screen in an easy to use, workable format.

What you're really wanting is a higher resolution for the 32" LCD. I don't think you're going to be able to achieve a higher resolution than the native resolution of the HDTV. There are several third party applications which can provide resolutions other than what your Mac will display and\or the native resolution of the TV but there is no guarantee they will work for you.

Take a look at this LINK and see if it provides any help for you.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Chscag! I did check out the link. Sounds interesting. A bit nervous about downloading something I know nothing about and "messing" with my system. My AppleCare just expired so I'm totally on my own if I do something stupid. It sounds like something I could use though so I'm tempted to just try it.

Let me ask this. Would I just be better off getting a true computer monitor? I was just thinking multipurpose use here down the road if I didn't need it as a monitor anymore. I can take the TV back within the next 30 days so I'm willing to look at a monitor if that makes more sense for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Let me ask this. Would I just be better off getting a true computer monitor?

Absolutely. A "true" computer monitor will be much better than a flat panel TV (for computing purposes), since the computer monitor will give the higher resolutions you're looking for.

Check the "native" resolution of the monitor before purchasing to make sure it is what you need. The "native" resolution on a computer monitor is the resolution where everything displayed looks it's best. The resolution can be changed...but then text & graphics take on a "softer" more fuzzy appearance.

Most monitors in the 23" - 26" have a native resolution of 1920 x 1200...the native resolution on the Apple 30" monitor is 2560 x 1600.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Nick!

I am headed to the store now to look at true computer monitors. I wished my budget would allow for the Apple 30". You all have been quite helpful!

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
There is a refurbished 30" apple display on the online apple store right now, reasonable price, too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a refurbished 30" apple display on the online apple store right now, reasonable price, too.

That would be very nice:)...but as you may know, the one thing that "sucks" about the Apple 30" display is it's slow response time of 16 milliseconds...otherwise an AWESOME monitor!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Response time only matters with games, AFAIK.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Response time only matters with games, AFAIK.

I think that it also counts when watching videos & DVD's...especially action scenes.

Slow response times can also definitely be noticed when doing everyday things like moving a window around on your desktop.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.