Software update not working OS X 10.5.7

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with software update using OSX 10.5.7 I Click the install updates button and nothing happens, the install button just goes from being gray when I click it to going back to blue as if I never clicked it.

I tried repairing disk permissions from both the mac OSX disk and from a normal login and both times, it found that permissions differ on literally hundreds of different directories, so I clicked the repair permissions button but that didn't work either. I also tried verifying the disk and it finds no errors.

I also try to update my iphone OS from itunes and that doesn't work either. So that means I cant update from itunes 8.2.1 to itunes 9 and I cant update my iphone software from 3.0.1 to 3.1 either!

I'm also unable to do backups with my time capsule via time machine. I cant even restore from older backups on time machine!

I'm also unable to empty my recycle bin. So I resorted to having to manually do it through Terminal. That worked. I then tried manually installing the updates through Terminal with

sudo softwareupdate -i -a

and I get the error

Bus error

***?! Any tips or suggestions would be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forums - Download and install this and see if that sorts things - Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update Combo updaters often are more reliable than the apple menu choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.