Macbook Issue While Using It With A Plasma

Reaction score
I have a Macbook that I have hooked up to my 42 inch plasma that I run movies through. On about 50 percent of the time when I boot the Mac I get the desktop image on the plasma but none of the icon’s even though the icon’s are on the Mac screen but not displayed on the plasma. The same desktop image is on both the plasma and the Mac screen when this happens. I am using a Mini DVI cable to HDMI. I have two of these cables and I know it’s not the cable nor have I unplugged the cable from the Mac or the Plasma during the times it boot s correctly and when it does not boot correctly…

Anyone have a clue as to what is causing the problem and how I may fix the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
sure, the 50% of the time you see the background, but not the icons.. the Mac's not set to mirror the displays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And check the Preferences for the App which you are using for playing whatever on the Plasma - there will be display choices there as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
i have a phillips plasma...when i got the mini port to HDMI my MBP detect it but everything i tried i cannot see it on the plasma... any suggestions?

OP
D
Reaction score
i have a phillips plasma...when i got the mini port to HDMI my MBP detect it but everything i tried i cannot see it on the plasma... any suggestions?

I have a Philips and a Panasonic and have this issue on either one. Sometimes I get the entire desktop and can watch DVD's and other times I can't. When it does work I see the DVD movies on both the Mac and the plasmas's at the same time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I have a Macbook that I have hooked up to my 42 inch plasma that I run movies through. On about 50 percent of the time when I boot the Mac I get the desktop image on the plasma but none of the icon’s even though the icon’s are on the Mac screen but not displayed on the plasma. The same desktop image is on both the plasma and the Mac screen when this happens. I am using a Mini DVI cable to HDMI. I have two of these cables and I know it’s not the cable nor have I unplugged the cable from the Mac or the Plasma during the times it boot s correctly and when it does not boot correctly…

Anyone have a clue as to what is causing the problem and how I may fix the problem?

Not set to mirroring. I have this everytime I connect an external monitor or a TV to my MBP. You have to select the monitor icon in your top right corner (if you have it set there) and select mirror under the external display and it will copy what you have on your other monitor. Presto! Otherwise you can just use it as an extension of your desktop if you so choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
To be more specific...

1) Go to the Apple Menu in the top left of your menu bar and Choose System Preferences>Displays.

2) Check the box that says "Show displays in menu bar".

3) Find the display icon on the right side of your menu bar and right-click it.

4) Choose "Turn On Mirroring"

When mirroring is off, the external display becomes an extension of your Macbook screen. You can still view things when mirroring is off. Just drag an app window off the edge of your Macbook screen "onto" the external display. Under "Arrangement" in the Displays preferences you can position your screens however you want in relation to each other.

OP
D
Reaction score
Not set to mirroring. I have this everytime I connect an external monitor or a TV to my MBP. You have to select the monitor icon in your top right corner (if you have it set there) and select mirror under the external display and it will copy what you have on your other monitor. Presto! Otherwise you can just use it as an extension of your desktop if you so choose.

Yea I found the problem... There is a mirroring button on the keyboard. Once I pressed the button the display came to life...

The only other issue is it does not work at all in Windows. I can not get an image to display. I have my Macbook setup as a dual-boot as I need to run software in Windows thats not made for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Yea I found the problem... There is a mirroring button on the keyboard. Once I pressed the button the display came to life...

The only other issue is it does not work at all in Windows. I can not get an image to display. I have my Macbook setup as a dual-boot as I need to run software in Windows thats not made for the Mac.

Wine ftw.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.