• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

trying to edit this short clip in imovie08

Reaction score
So I tried now different programs that don't work in the end...I have tried streamclip, handbreak, avi to imovie converter and some others but I can't figure this one out!
I am trying to edit this short clip in imovie08 and it's an avi file...so it says....
but I can't obviously open it in imovie so I tried everything until I got to AVI to imovie converter which worked ...I mean it converted the avi file so that quicktime could open it and I also imported it into imovie but the problem is it's got a huge watermark because it's a trial version.....so, can I download it somewhere else maybe so that I get the full version? you guys know anything about this software?...or maybe the other conversion software would work if I got some codecs?! can you maybe help me with that?...the short avi file can only be viewed with VLC player....without converting it to mov or something else....
thanks for the help!
really appreciate it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
If you can play if fine in VLC, why not just try VLCs stream/export wizard. It's in the File dropdown - when you select it, a new window pops up that allows you to either stream the video, or use VLCs conversion to save it to a different format, then save it to quicktime or mp4 or something.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip !!
I've done that but I have no sound....the video is perfect but unfortunately no sound, and I selected mpeg4 audio...si should I select something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't see where you selected mpeg4 audio - just for testing, I opened one of my AVIs , transcoding wizard, transcode video selected mpeg-4 video.

By default Transcode Audio wasn't selected, I selected that, and the first option it shows is just mpeg audio, but I don't see specifically mpeg4 audio. you might want to try Vorbis or Flac on the audio dropdown if the default mpeg option didn't work. Make sure transcode audio is selected otherwise you'll get no audio

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the help...I managed to make it work .Now I have audio and video working together...but I want to edit the video in imovie08 and imovie doesn;t want to import it. It's weird, I mean it says it's an asf file I don;t even know what that is....anyway I'll play with this transcode thing and see what happens...because vlc plays it with image and sound but imovie won't import it...

OP
M
Reaction score
ok so there is a mpeg4 video and mpeg 4 audio that i can select as transcode...but it still won't work in imovie, and other conversion programs managed to make it an imovie compatible format...ie: mpeg4 but some parts are missing...some video footage like 2 or 3 frames are missing...that's why i wanted to try vlc...and it worked image is there...and audio also but imovie won't play along!....hrrrr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.