Trackpad Not Working

Reaction score
I spilled a really tiny bit of water on my unibody Macbook trackpad and now it isn't clicking.

At first I was able to click but it wouldn't work sometimes and then it got better and started clicking almost all the time. I watched a 20 minute video and when I was I found out it wasn't clicking at all except for the far right side of it.

I can move the mouse around and everything but it won't click at all on the left side or middle. Please help.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
There isn't much you can do especially since it's water damage and it's a hardware issue.

Either bring it in and have a genius look at it, and they will know it's water damage so don't even try and lie about it. They will give you a quote on the repairs. That's the only way you are going to fix your trackpad. Either that or get a USB mouse.

Best regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I spilled a really tiny bit of water on my unibody Macbook trackpad and now it isn't clicking.

At first I was able to click but it wouldn't work sometimes and then it got better and started clicking almost all the time. I watched a 20 minute video and when I was I found out it wasn't clicking at all except for the far right side of it.

I can move the mouse around and everything but it won't click at all on the left side or middle. Please help.

Turn on tap to click?

There isn't much you can do especially since it's water damage and it's a hardware issue.

Either bring it in and have a genius look at it, and they will know it's water damage so don't even try and lie about it. They will give you a quote on the repairs. That's the only way you are going to fix your trackpad. Either that or get a USB mouse.

Best regards.

see above?

OP
D
Reaction score
Right now I'm using a mouse, I hate tap to click.

I'm going to try to see if it will dry or if there's any other way to fix it before I take it to Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Right now I'm using a mouse, I hate tap to click.

I'm going to try to see if it will dry or if there's any other way to fix it before I take it to Apple.

If it stopped working, then the damage is already done. It won't dry.

As for hating tap to click, I can't understand why anyone would want to use the whole track pad as a button. Personal preferences are weird.

OP
D
Reaction score
If I press really hard it works but it's only really sensitive on the right side. Is there anyway that I could make it more sensitive without taking it in?

Or does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get it repaired?

OP
D
Reaction score
It's working now! At least temporarily.

I removed the battery and "screwed" around with the screw and now it's clicking completely and is actually a little quieter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.