Is GIMP For Macs?

Reaction score
I have a new iMAC. I was going to buy PS Elements, but have heard a lot of good things about GIMP, including the fact that it's free. I went into the site to download it but it says it only for Windows. What's the deal. Will I be able to download it to my iMAC? I'm still a little shy about doing anything to harm my new MAC. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Of course you can get it for mac silly :)

the link is here or to just go straight to the mirrors, the link is here

EDIT: Don't worry about 'hurting' your new mac. Just make sure you do some form of backup frequently, so then if you do have any issues that arise you can always reinstall the operating system. Also, i greatly recommend the use of Time Machine, its saved my butt a few times :p

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks so much. I guess I didn't look far enough. The GIMP site I went to just mentioned Windows/PC OS. A little off-topic, but I'm still trying to get ScanDisk to help me with password protecting my flash drives and they keep telling me it's my iMAC that's causing the problem, not the flash drives. So, I'm a little reluctant to venture out. Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Thanks so much. I guess I didn't look far enough. The GIMP site I went to just mentioned Windows/PC OS. A little off-topic, but I'm still trying to get ScanDisk to help me with password protecting my flash drives and they keep telling me it's my iMAC that's causing the problem, not the flash drives. So, I'm a little reluctant to venture out. Thanks again for your help.

Try this:
Mac Hard Drive -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Then click on your Hard Drive, and start with verify permissions. If you need to repair any, boot off your OS X CD, then run Disk Utility and repair the permissions.

If your looking for something more in depth, you can try Disk Warrior (although its a bit pricey ;) )

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, take a look at Pixelmator before you spend any money on PS Elements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.