Insanely loud fans on Twin G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Twin G5 2.7, 8X2.8 PowerMac, G4 Powerbook
SO-
I've been reading posts by others on the loud fans on the Twin G5. Mine is a dual 2.7 processor and is sounds more like I am sitting behind a Saturn 5 rocket. What I don't understand is why my 8 core Intel based Mac Pro is so quiet. I've changed fans and done anything else that Apple recommends.
Anyone out there have another suggestion besides loud music or headphones?
(Sorry, that probably sounds old - noise isolating earbuds!)
Bob

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you think that's loud, sit in the same room for eight hours where an IBM 360-50 is running.... :) (Many years ago.)

I don't believe there's much you can do. Most folks who own the same machine (which by the way, is a great machine) complain of the same thing. I guess it's the nature of the beast. :Smirk:

That particular machine runs fairly hot compared to your Mac Pro and that's one of the reasons for the loud fans. Also, if I remember correctly, that model has several groups of fans.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What I don't understand is why my 8 core Intel based Mac Pro is so quiet.

One of the big differences is the G5's used PowerPC CPU's...Mac Pro's use Intel CPU's.

The higher speed PowerPC CPU's were known to generate a lot of heat...thus a lot of fans & fan noise.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How loud is loud

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if you're next to the IBM - noise cancelling headphones may be in the cards for holiday presents.
I've already changed the fans, am thinking about disconnecting them and putting on an external. But, as you have already surmised, I use the Intel based for most of my work now.
Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Yeah, had the exact same problem with mine. I personally think the 2.7GHz was a step to far for the chips and even with the water cooling they ran HOT!

Best solution I found was to go into System Perferences, Energy Saver, Processor and select 'Reduced'.

Fans spun down and stayed down after that, but doing CPU heavy work took longer.

Highest would be the next setting but I found the fans just stayed constantly noisy. Worst was Automatic, one minute it was silent, click iTunes and all **** breaks loose then back to silence again....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah, had the exact same problem with mine. I personally think the 2.7GHz was a step to far for the chips and even with the water cooling they ran HOT!

I had a dual-processor 2.3ghz G5...and never had a problem with fan noise...at least not to the point that is was bothersome (just the occasional fan speedup).

Seems like maybe any speed bumps faster than the 2.3ghz dual G5 was/is heat overload for the G5 cooling system.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MartyP-
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try playing with the fan settings. I just hate to have the computer here and unused.
Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
No problem at all Bob.

Setting the processor to Reduced ran the fans at 300rpm so you really can't hear them. Think the highest they got was 500rpm, even then its quiet.

Think the speed of the processors is halved when you do that tho...

See how you get on and let us know... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.