Help with deleting existing OS

Reaction score
Hi guys, yesterday I bought a unibody macbook from craigslist and it had Leopard installed on it. I wanted to upgrade to Snow Leopard and I thought it would be a good thing to do anyway because I wanted to delete the current OS because I didn't want any of the previous owners files or settings - I wanted to start fresh.

I was told that by installing Snow Leopard that the computer would automatically delete the existing OS and replace it with the new one, but after I upgraded, all the old files and settings were still there even though I was prompted to enter my name and information.

When installing the new OS are there special steps that I need to take to completely clear everything that was there before? I want to restore everything the factory settings.

Thanks, guys. :)

Reaction score
Hi guys, yesterday I bought a unibody macbook from craigslist and it had Leopard installed on it. I wanted to upgrade to Snow Leopard and I thought it would be a good thing to do anyway because I wanted to delete the current OS because I didn't want any of the previous owners files or settings - I wanted to start fresh.

I was told that by installing Snow Leopard that the computer would automatically delete the existing OS and replace it with the new one, but after I upgraded, all the old files and settings were still there even though I was prompted to enter my name and information.

When installing the new OS are there special steps that I need to take to completely clear everything that was there before? I want to restore everything the factory settings.

Thanks, guys. :)
The default Snow Leopard install is designed to upgrade a system, as in upgrade all system files and save all user files and data.
You can use the Snow Leopard install DVD (Disk Utility) in the top menu bar to do a complete disk erase, even repartition the drive.
This will get the clean new install you desire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.