How to uninstall a program properly?

Reaction score
I recently bought a Macbook. If a program has no uninstall facility is it OK to drag it to the Trash can? In Windows doing this will leave portions of the program still in the registry and other places, but how does this work for Macs?

Help for this novice Mac user would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuartp77

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
That will do most of the trick. If you're really picky and want to save a few kilobytes extra, you can search for the name of the app in spotlight followed by .plist and delete the file that comes up. It's simply a preference file. No harm either way.

Reaction score
I recently bought a Macbook. If a program has no uninstall facility is it OK to drag it to the Trash can? In Windows doing this will leave portions of the program still in the registry and other places, but how does this work for Macs?

Help for this novice Mac user would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuartp77
I tend to be a tad Anal when it comes to uninstalling software, so I've taken to using this free app....
Use it to search for the filename, it will find ALL traces of the App and offers you the choice to delete or destroy selected or all files.

OP
S
Reaction score
Does reloading OS disks destroy progmas already on?

That will do most of the trick. If you're really picky and want to save a few kilobytes extra, you can search for the name of the app in spotlight followed by .plist and delete the file that comes up. It's simply a preference file. No harm either way.

Hi DarkestRitual,
Thanks for your kind reply - I am grateful for my anything that will increase my knowledge of my Macbook.

May I ask you another question? Simply this: as I bought my computer off Ebay, if I re-install the 2 operating disks that came with the machine, willl that operation delete all files on the computer or leave thm intact as Windows does if you re-install the operating system? It might complicate the system that I used Boot Camp to instal XP on its own partition. So would that section remain intact?

Thanks,

Stuartp77

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
If you choose to restore from the disks then it shouldn't touch the windows partition, and just wipe the mac side and re-install.

OP
S
Reaction score
Re-installing Mac OS

Hi Zidog,

Thanks for your reply, I think you answered my query. If you re-install Windows from the OS disc the programs and data you had previously are still there intact. But I think you mean the Mac OS won't do that, it will wipe everything off, is that so?

Thanks

Stuartp77

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
No. It depends on what installation option you choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Looks like the other folks have this covered, for which I am thankful. I haven't messed too much with partitions, especially since I've never had a taste for windows. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.