not able to see full display on my sony bravia hd 1080p

Reaction score
i bought this macbook pro everything is good and when i bought it i talked to a representative and asked him what i needed to get in order to connect my laptop to my sony bravia 52 inch. he told me a belkin hdmi dvi cablehttp://store.apple.com/us/product/TR842LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=Nzk5MTU3OA
and a mini display port to dvi adapter Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
so i got home saw the cables and was excited to connect them and plug them into my tv. so i plugged it in and i saw the image of the desktop picture nothing else. i thought ok cool maybe its just going to take a few seconds to see the desktop. So my question is how can i fix this? i thought i would be able to see safari use programs and see them through my tv. all i see is the image of the desktop. i went to system preferences and went to display and thats the only thing that comes up on my tv. so i went to display and tried to see if could do anything. i clicked gather windows and a windows that says my tv's name comes up. it says its in 1080p which is perfect since its 1080p and it gives me different display sizes but thats not what i need. then there is something that says 60 hertz (NTSC) it was on that already so i didnt change it. but just in case i picked 24hz and nothing. is there anyway i can see my whole desktop videos and programs or did i just waste money buying all these cables for no reason?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is called an extended desktop. It allows the use of both screens for viewing separate tasks/windows simultaneously. Just drag what ever app it is you want to view on the TV from your monitor to the TV. Experiment, you'll figure it out, the 2 screens will be connected on one side to move your mouse from one to the other.

If you just want both screens to be identical, then put a check in the mirroring mode box in Displays preferences.

OP
R
Reaction score
i went to preferences in display and i see nothing for a mirroring mode box in the displays preferences. here are the steps i do. 1 go to system preferences on my dock. 2 go to hardware where i see display and click it. then both windows for tv and display come out but. i clicked everywhere in the little tabs looking for options and nothing comes up that says mirroring. i just noitced that whenever i drag my applications all the way to tbe right i can see them but then they are not going to be visible on my desktop and then i wont be able to move them back to place. i tried out different resolutions and nothing. im still really lost im sorry if this seems simple to you and not me but i swear i do not see a mirroring image box in all seriousness.
what i see when i go to display and i swear i went to all the tabs on both windows to try look for mirroring. please help man

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Option 1
On the 'Color LCD' window, place a check mark in the box next to 'Show displays in menu bar'
Then click on the little TV that is now in the menu bar and select 'Turn on mirroring'.

Option 2
On the 'Color LCD' window, go to the 'Arrangement' tab and place a check in the box next to 'Mirror displays'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.