I\O Error

G

gtee

Could someone please help me with this error message?

I started an Appleworks file at school, saved it and brought it home on my flash-disk. When I double-click it to work on it - I get an I\O Error.

What is this and is there a work around? [I have repaired permissions]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Have you tried copying it from the flash drive to your hard disk?

OP
G

gtee

technologist said:
Have you tried copying it from the flash drive to your hard disk?

Hi Technologist,

Yes - I tried that but it didn't do anything - didn't open or tell me there was an error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes, you should NEVER work off of removable media, unless its a self powered external hd, then its ok, but if youre working off that flash drive, its uses it as memory for the app, which as you know, won't work correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm afraid your document is probably hosed. Maybe the flash drive is flaky, or maybe you pulled it out too fast, who knows. You might try bringing it back to the original machine, but I'm not optimistic.

Macman said:
yes, you should NEVER work off of removable media, unless its a self powered external hd, then its ok, but if youre working off that flash drive, its uses it as memory for the app, which as you know, won't work correctly.

Huh? Flash drives mount just like any other logical volume, and are treated just like external HDs or iPods or zip disks. Sure, all media can flake out, but the only special risk for removables is that they could be ejected at the wrong time, or accidentally thrown into the washing machine.

The only volume that is "used as memory for an app" is the drive used for virtual memory, which is almost always the boot drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes, but flash drives are powered by usb, which is where those I/O errors of trying to read and write at the same time and a device drawing too much power come in. plus working off of a lash drive will usually corrupt your files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.