• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can you please do a test on your mac?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am feeling that there is something wrong with youtube on mac ...
Can you please open the activity monitor and safari on this video using the HD version (very important): YouTube - Tinker Bell Music Video - Viva Forever - (HD 720p) (tinker bell triler, this is just for a test, the movie is just to have all the same), and put the result of what you see in your activity monitor for both Safari and the Flash plugin?
Thank you, it wil help me to know if this is really flash on mac which s...ks.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I see the use of 16% of a single core usage for safari, and between 61-65% of a single core used for flash (viewed on a Mac Pro 8 core 2008, numbers from activity monitor and watching core usage across my cores via iStats)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Flash on Mac is 'known' to suck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Pro tip:
Install clicktoflash - it gives you a H.264 option for youtube videos (the ones Youtube has for the iPhone & AppleTV). H.264 videos will tax your CPU quite a bit less, as your graphics card can help.

ClickToFlash

OP
S
Reaction score
Pro tip:
Install clicktoflash - it gives you a H.264 option for youtube videos (the ones Youtube has for the iPhone & AppleTV). H.264 videos will tax your CPU quite a bit less, as your graphics card can help.

ClickToFlash

I just tried it, and it really helps. Thank you.
I am now able to read youtube HD videos without issues ...
Don't you have another tips for Netflix streaming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
When I try and watch Mac tutorials they are usually disrupted by buffering; is that likely to be a Flash problem, the volume of users accessing the servers or just my 2Gbps broadband connection? Would ClicktoFlash help?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't you have another tips for Netflix streaming?

Get Netflix to come up with something other than Microsoft's Silverlight for playback on a Mac or use a Win machine.

When I try and watch Mac tutorials they are usually disrupted by buffering; is that likely to be a Flash problem, the volume of users accessing the servers or just my 2Gbps broadband connection? Would ClicktoFlash help?

Buffering issue would have nothing to do with the player playing the file.
That would be the server, your ISP or both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
Thanks Bob, thought so, unfortunately we don't have a very good connection at this end of the world.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You could check the bandwidth you're receiving vs what you're suppose to be receiving. I had to battle with the cable company supplying my service for almost 18 months before they finally had a line tech come out that actually knew what he was doing and my bandwidth quadrupled up to what I'd been paying for when he was done.

(Before you ask, why did I keep it for that 18 months, it was still 50% faster than the DSL I'd given up.)

The other thing to do that will work with some video sites, pause the playback while it continues to download, do something else while you're waiting, then go back to watch after it's downloaded. Won't work with all sites.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Pro tip:

ClickToFlash
That's fantastic. I'm getting tired of watching YouTube videos and Flash consuming more than it needs to. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.