I bought a new iMac 24" today!!

Reaction score
Hello all!! I'm officially an apple fanboy! :Evil:

Anyway I purchased a brand new 24" iMac 2.66 today! It's my very first mac and I'm still learning how to use a brand new operating system. Anyway I have a few questions:

1) What is the easiest way to maximize a window? Like iTunes or MS Word
2) How do I right click? Sometimes I want to save an image etc.
3) Are there any "My Documents" or "My Music" folders like on Windows. Right now I'm not exactly sure where my saved docs are going.

Thats it for now. I'll continue reading the forum and visiting the apple support website for help as well. :)

Justin

Reaction score
... you should have wait .... there is a new one coming in less than 1 month ... :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. the green button at the top left side of the window - OS X has a different philosophy than windows - it only opens a window large enough for you to see what is there - does not open it full screen necessarily - to make it larger, drag the arrow in the bottom right corner of a window

2. Same as on a windows machine - have a mighty mouse?
To save an image from a web page - no need for right click, just click and drag the image to your desktop

3. Windows Explorer on your Mac is called Finder. You can open it by double clicking on the MacIntosh HD icon on your desktop. Or, by clicking on the icon at the far left side of the dock - the little square smiley face with the big nose

Stuff you download, will auto go into the downloads folder unless you change it - and sitting on the right hand side of the dock.

And congrats on the new toy - nice machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Congrats on the new purchase! Made a great choice. Rumors have a new iMac coming out soon, if you purchased it from an APPLE store, most likely you can return for the upgrade that is coming out.... if your interested, just call the store for more info.

Congrats and Welcome!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I doubt I am going to upgrade unless there is a price drop. This machine is MORE than what I need.

Reaction score
Welcome to Mac, I purchased my iMac about a month ago, and trust me, you won't stop cleaning it, and keeping it in order. :)

Anyway, you get very used to it after a week or two.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Great machine, have fun with it as i had with mine, 5 yrs ago...
There's a lot of difference between the two.

This was mine then,

IMG_1172-1.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, can't miss the 'big picture' here...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
welcome to the forums..>!!

Reaction score
I wish my desk looked that neat. Occasionally I get disgruntled and then clean it but it only lasts for a about 2 weeks. I have memory cards, flash drives, CDs and papers all over my desk. I use mine for helping my wife prepare her lessons for her class she is a 4th grade teacher, plus lately I've really gotten in to audiobooks as I spend a lot of time on the road for work. I love my iMac and would really like a new one but realistically I want a macbook so that I can get stuff done on the go.

As far as resizing down in the lower right hand corner are 3 lines you can resize the window and then it should save it as that size the next time you open it. I highly recommend that you get the following book "Mac OS X the missing manual" well worth the money and it will help you with some everyday tasks. Welcome to the family.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I can't believe its been two says since I bought it. I'm learning real quick how this system works. Sometimes I think maybe the 24" screen was TOO big. lol I look forward to contributing to the forums and navigating my way throughout the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"; 2.93GHz; 4GB mem; 640GB HD; iPod Movie 5G; iPod Touch 4G 64gb
Congrats

I also just bought my first iMac 24", exactly the same one you just bought. So far, I absolutely love it. I was worried that my wife would have a problem getting used to it, but she mostly does internet and email only, so it's been a breeze for her so far.

The last big thing I need to do is to connect my external NTSF 500GB drive to the Mac and transfer all of my PC files. I then want to format it for my Mac and use it as a backup drive. I am waiting for my firewire 800 cable to arrive so I can hook it up and start the process.

I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment from my new "toy".

Thanks and I look forward to reading about others new experiences with their Apple computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Apparently the new iMacs coming out are going to have a significant redesign.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.