No Display - Graphics Card???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb
My Mac Pro (18 months old) went in to standby today, never to return. The display went dark, the monitor in to standby mode, and everything seemed normal.

Pressing the caps lock key started the fans back up, and the little green light on the caps lock illuminated as it should - however the display remained black.

Switched the monitor off, back on - nothing. Flicked between Digital, Analogue and HDMI - and while Analogue and HDMI said "check cable" - Digital was just black.

I've restarted the Mac, and it sounds like it's booting okay, and you get the right sounds for a failed login attempt etc.

I've plugged in my laptop via Analogue - and I get a picture, connected the Mac Pro via analogue (with a VGA <> DVI adapter) and nothing - black screen again.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard this week - that went A-OK, with just an update for Microsoft RDP required.

Does this sound like the PCI 256Mb ATi Graphics card has packed up?

If it has - what's the best option for a swap out?

Any help and advice appreciated.

Horness

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.