importing email list into mac address book

Reaction score
I have a huge list of emails that i want to import into my address book as individual contacts.

I've spent hours browsing forums, chatting with mac support, and scratching my head trying to figure this out.

please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
What format is your e-mail list in?

Reaction score
me too, big problems with address book

I have a huge list of emails that i want to import into my address book as individual contacts.

I've spent hours browsing forums, chatting with mac support, and scratching my head trying to figure this out.

please help

I, too, have had huge problems with Address Book - ever since 'upgrading' to 10.6. Basically, my old addresses simply will not show up in my new address book, no matter what I do, and almost anything I try hangs or crashes Address Book. I have exported them and tried to re-import them - nothing.

Fortunately, Mail.app seems to be able to access my old address listings. I can't tell yet what exactly is happening when I save, or try to save new addresses.

But, basically, nothing I do with Address Book produces good results. :Angry-Tongue:

It is a consolation to know that at least one other person in the world is experiencing this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I, too, have had huge problems with Address Book - ever since 'upgrading' to 10.6 <snip>
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Address Book. However I don't think the OP is having any problems with the program, just wants to figure out a way to import a list of contacts/e-mails(?).

You'll probably get a quicker answer by posting in a different thread; the "OS X - Operating System" since it sounds like your troubles began after upgrading to SL.

OP
D
Reaction score
What format is your e-mail list in?

Excel.
I saved it as windows CSV. but since i know nothing about CSV maybe i'm doing it wrong.
at first i had it as a one column list.
that wouldn't work
so then i tried putting them in different cells in a row.
that worked but each address has a "do not import" drop down thing next to it.
except for the emails with the word EMAIL in them which i thought was wierd like [email protected] or [email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a look at these articles to see if one of the methods will work for you.

macosxhints.com - Import an Outlook CSV file to Address Book

http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubleshooting/24195-import-csv-file-into-address-book.html

It sounds like there is a workaround using a .csv file with another program, creating a mail file there and then using an export file from that program as a master file that Mac Mail understands.

FWIW when I moved from Windows to Mac I used a terrific little $10 program called O2M:

Little Machines

Other, more knowledgeable folks may have some other suggestions as well.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know this isn't exactly what the OP is looking for, but I just came across a free program called Mail Scripts that will add multiple contacts to Address Book from an e-mail message (something Mail can't do). I thought that someone coming across this thread might find it useful.

Mail Scripts

OP
D
Reaction score
I know this isn't exactly what the OP is looking for, but I just came across a free program called Mail Scripts that will add multiple contacts to Address Book from an e-mail message (something Mail can't do). I thought that someone coming across this thread might find it useful.

Mail Scripts

only problem is it takes a lot of time and energy.
about 10 min per 100 contacts and i have thousands

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
only problem is it takes a lot of time and energy.
about 10 min per 100 contacts and i have thousands
Ouch! Hopefully someone else will have a solution for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.