Corrupt file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have a corrupt file in my Trash Bin. It's name is unreadable and I cannot empty it from the Bin. When I try to empty the bin, the folder closes, but the file has not gone. If I try to Get Info, the file disappears from the Bin - but when I open the Bin again, it is back.

I have verified the disk and permissions, both successfully. This has not made any difference.

How can I get rid of this file please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look here.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I tried those without success.

I will try a repair and see if that fixes it, although a verify found no errors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Can you take a screenshot of the trash? Also, is this on an external drive, that is also used by windows? If not, do you use bootcamp?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you take a screenshot of the trash? Also, is this on an external drive, that is also used by windows? If not, do you use bootcamp?

This is on the main internal drive of the iMac. I do use Bootcamp, but this is not on the Windows partition. It applies to the main (and only) user ID on the system, so it is also of course an Admin user.

I'll see what I can do about a screenshot, once I can remember how to do a screenshot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cmd-shift-4 will let you select, if you hit space it will allow you to simply click on a window :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the screenshot of the Trash folder:

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oooooo

Ok, how comfortable are you with Terminal?

edit: Ya know what.. BEFORE we go there.. boot to windows and empty your recycling bin. Then check again

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried rebooting into Windows and emptying the Recycle Bin.

Back into Mac OS and the file (or folder) is still there.

I don't know if this helps, but I have an eBook reader. I connected this to my laptop at work, which has its own disk encrypted with a MacAfee encryption system. Somehow this resulted in a folder being created on the eBook reader which was not readable. I could not delete it from the reader successfully.

When I brought the reader home and attached it to the iMac, I was able to delete the folder from the reader. I suspect this is the folder now in my Trash folder. Does this help explain how to get rid of the folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
could be, was this file deleted while you were booted to windows by chance?

I ask simply because that's pretty much the signature of files named like that I've seen in the past.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the file was deleted when in Mac OS, viewing the reader disk as an external USB disk. If it helps, the reader is the Elonex.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, go into terminal and cd to .Trash, then do an ls -ai

paste the output.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I brought the reader home and attached it to the iMac, I was able to delete the folder from the reader. I suspect this is the folder now in my Trash folder. Does this help explain how to get rid of the folder?

Attach the reader once more to your iMac. With the reader attached, empty the Trash. I've had the very same thing happen when attaching devices like a camera or mP3 player and then deleting something. Forgetting to empty the Trash while the device was still attached creates the same problem you're running into. Re-attaching (mounting) the device once more and emptying the Trash usually resolves it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Attach the reader once more to your iMac. With the reader attached, empty the Trash. I've had the very same thing happen when attaching devices like a camera or mP3 player and then deleting something. Forgetting to empty the Trash while the device was still attached creates the same problem you're running into. Re-attaching (mounting) the device once more and emptying the Trash usually resolves it.

Regards.
Oh yea, thanks. Great call :) Forgot about that. I really need more sleep.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I connected the eBook reader again and I think the corrupt folder might be on the reader.

Here is the contents of the reader's Trash folder:

Picture 2.png

I tried to remove that in Terminal with rm -rf but it gives errors (same as for ls -al) and does not delete. Emptying the Trash folder does not work either. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WHat happens after you empty trash with the reader connected?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Here is what just worked for me:

The problem was in the Windows Trash however I don't know how it happened. Anyways running checkdisk for Windows on drive c: found some corrupt files in the folder .Trashes on drive c: and repaired it.

Make sure you check automatic repair when you start checkdisk!

This should also work on your reader (I understand its format is FAT32)...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.