Hdd selection

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Im not greatly experienced with techy stuff so any help will be great. Ok i got an internal hdd 500gb installed a few months ago and the lady that did it for me set it so that when i turn on my mac i would be accessing the new 500gb hdd from my desktop, but i installed Leopard yesterday and since then im accessing my original 250gb hdd from the desktop which is frustrating because i have to go through alot of folders to get to what i need to, drag and drop stuff into the desktop and ive no memory left on this one to do so.

So how do i set it so i am accessing the 500gb from the desktop again? is there much to it?

Thanks in advance
Shane

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need some more information Shane. What kind of machine do you have? I know that it must have the ability to utilize more than one hard drive.

More than likely, when you installed Leopard you installed it on the 250 GB drive rather than the 500 GB drive. I'm assuming your old OS X was installed on the 500 GB drive at the same time you had the drive put in.

That means your desktop is displayed from the hard drive which boots to OS X Leopard. (250 GB) Post back and confirm - also need your machine specs.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
We need some more information Shane. What kind of machine do you have? I know that it must have the ability to utilize more than one hard drive.

More than likely, when you installed Leopard you installed it on the 250 GB drive rather than the 500 GB drive. I'm assuming your old OS X was installed on the 500 GB drive at the same time you had the drive put in.

That means your desktop is displayed from the hard drive which boots to OS X Leopard. (250 GB) Post back and confirm - also need your machine specs.

Regards.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Is this enough info? im not too sure if the os x was installed on the 500gb too? im lost as to this, but i can find out just tell me what to do :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
At first guess the answer is yes you installed the OS on the wrong disk. When you go into System Preferences>Startup Disk what do you see - do you see two startup disks (your 250 with Tiger and the 500 with the old OS)?

OP
S
Reaction score
At first guess the answer is yes you installed the OS on the wrong disk. When you go into System Preferences>Startup Disk what do you see - do you see two startup disks (your 250 with Tiger and the 500 with the old OS)?

Yup, i see the 2 discs but it doesnt specify which os is on each of them, but yes the 250 has to have leopard and 500 has tiger, where do i go form her?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Which drive is set up in preference >start up disk as the first start disk ?
BUT it must be borne in mind if you change it is fixed until you change it again.
And if you change it to the wrong disk it would NOT Start at all
Above applies to my Mac Pro running snow leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.