Tech savvy legions of Mac-Forums, I need your help!

Reaction score
I have been having problems with my Macbook Pro. So there is the possibility that I will need to buy a new one. The problem is that I bought a lot of software (Final Cut Studio, Photoshop) and I installed it on another computer. Now I am scared that if I get a new MBP these programs won't start without a license, which I've used already. I'm a video production major and these programs are crucial to me. So my question is, if I uninstalled them from my old MBP would that do the trick or could I use my old MBP as an external firewire and run the programs off of that or would it cause a conflict between Tiger on the old machine and SL on the new one? Thanks in advance!

Love in Christ,
RCade3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I have been having problems with my Macbook Pro. So there is the possibility that I will need to buy a new one. The problem is that I bought a lot of software (Final Cut Studio, Photoshop) and I installed it on another computer. Now I am scared that if I get a new MBP these programs won't start without a license, which I've used already. I'm a video production major and these programs are crucial to me. So my question is, if I uninstalled them from my old MBP would that do the trick or could I use my old MBP as an external firewire and run the programs off of that or would it cause a conflict between Tiger on the old machine and SL on the new one? Thanks in advance!

Love in Christ,
RCade3

I'm pretty sure that they will still work, as long as you're only running them on one machine at a time. Apple tends to use the honor system.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
RCade3:

As long as you legally own the software and have your license keys, you can remove them from your old MBP and install them on your new machine. The EULA specifies that they not be run on more than one machine at the same time unless you have purchased a multi-user license.

Regards.

Reaction score
you can install it on as many computers as you want, as for the ethic aspect of that, no its not ethical or legal.

some software won't let you use the software on more than 1 computer, i.e. microsoft office 2008 until you take off the previous install.

so you should be all set as long as you take the software off the old laptop and put it on the new one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I don't know about Final Cut, but Photoshop uses a registration code. Just uninstall it off the old machine, reinstall it on the new and reenter the same code you used originally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.