Write protect USB drive to prevent PC virus

Reaction score
No, I'm not in the wrong forum. I'm a Mac user since they where black and white.

I have a USB thumb drive I use to carry my PowerPoint Presentations and other staff to the PC world. The problem is that every time I plug my drive on one of those it gets inffected, and often machines with anti-virus software rejects my drive and ejects it.

So I'm looking for a way to write protect my drive, to only be readable and no virus can get in. All these made from my Mac. The USB drive is formated as FAT-DOS

Maybe same way to create a fake dummy file whith the size of the free space.

Any ideas? Thantks

Carlos

Sorry if my english is not perfect.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have a look at this ... it has served me well
https://www.ironkey.com/
Cheers ... McBie

Nice, but pricey.

To the OP: Look for a USB key drive with a write protect read only switch. They're still sold but a bit hard to find. I have one here at home and use it all the time. I bought my drive at CompUSA some time ago. But I believe you can still find them at Office Depot, Staples, and maybe even Best Buy.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nice, but pricey.

True, but it all relates to the value of what you are trying to protect.

The manual " read only " switch on pen drives is what it is ..... it's manual.:Smirk:

In the end it's a personal choice.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.