iTunes problem

Reaction score
i just bought a terabyte hard drive. i am running an ibook G4, so i moved my itunes library over to the new hard drive. it was a bit of a rough start, didnt work well for some strange reason, but i deleted it and did it again, worked fine until today, where itunes seems very slugish, which it never is, and is coming up with this message

The iTunes library file cannot be saved. The required disk cannot be found.

the thing about this is that i am listening to music while it comes up. how can it not find the disk when it has before and is now?
and how do i fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Did you move your iTunes music folder AND the iTunes Library? The Library is the song information and the music folder contains the actual files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
i just bought a terabyte hard drive. i am running an ibook G4, so i moved my itunes library over to the new hard drive. it was a bit of a rough start, didnt work well for some strange reason, but i deleted it and did it again, worked fine until today, where itunes seems very slugish, which it never is, and is coming up with this message

The iTunes library file cannot be saved. The required disk cannot be found.

the thing about this is that i am listening to music while it comes up. how can it not find the disk when it has before and is now?
and how do i fix it.

This error sometimes occurs if your external HD was disconnected when you first opened itunes ? @bootup. If you truly want to move your entire library to your external i would suggest importing your library only after you've formatted it to HFS+. The external you purchased probably came with a default FAT32 format, which although macs can read its not ideal.

OP
R
Reaction score
i think that is the problem.. i was disconnected while itunes was open maybe. since a restart it hasnt shown any error messages, though doesnt load overly fast. i dont have very much stuff on it..maybe a reformat is necessary. also... yes it formatted for FAT 32. a friend told me that would be fine in case i ever wanted to plug it into a windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
my disk utility doesnt give me a HFS+ option to format too. how do i find it?

If you go to disk utility, select the HD you want to format, click the partition tab, name your drive and select Mac OS extended (HFS+), select the number of partions (in this case im assuming 1), then click apply.

That should do it.. if you are still having troubles let us know :)

OP
R
Reaction score
so now i have some other new issues. i just updated my iTunes, and my iphone is doing some weird things. all my music came from the original hard drive. i now have the new one, and my phone asked me to sync with that library i am assuming because the location of the folder is in a different location. i did so.. all my music went away, and the only way i could put more on is to sync via the tabs under my phone...but when i click on music under my iphone all the files are not available for me to click or manipulate in anyway..though the music is on my phone.. plus it will not allow me to drag and drop music into my phone.. only through the tabs under music, which doesnt allow transfer of single songs. what has happened?

to add.. iTunes will not find all my music. it shows up in iTunes but i have to manually find the songs in my iTunes folder.

OP
R
Reaction score
i read that article.. somethings seem valid. and i think i have sorted somethings out..though itunes is still not running right. it seems to crash regularly still.
the other problem is my iPhone. when i plug it in.. i go to music under my phone and the music comes up but i can not manipulate it. its light gray i cant delete songs, or add them via dragging. what is wrong?

OP
R
Reaction score
so i still cant drag and drop tracks onto my phone from itunes.. i can only go into summary/music/ and add artist by clicking the box.. come someone shed some light?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.