OS9 Maintenance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Ok, as a few of you may have read in my other posts, I'm working on getting a friends iBook SE Firewire (Clamshell) up to par. I'm currently looking for some ram and a battery for him, at which point he'll upgrade to OS X (he hates 9 with a passion).

Until he does upgrade, what are some good OS9 maintenance programs? I'm kinda looking for the equivalent to a MacJanitor, Yasu, or Cocktail. Free is preferable.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I never really use any maintenance apps, maybe just to defrag, and aladdin has a few apps that run maintenance stuff, like caches, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You wouldn't need to do a lot of maintenance on any kind of regular basis, but rebuilding the desktop is a good thing to know how to do. You can find instructions on how to do this on Apple's Support Archives

Outside of maybe running Disk First Aid once in a while, there really isn't much more to do.

If you don't plan on updating to OS X, you may want to bookmark Apple's OS 9 Support Page. There is a lot of useful information there if you ever run into any OS 9 headaches.

M

Mothgirl

you might want to verify that it CAN upgrade to os X. i know mine will only go as far as 9.2.1. I got a spare battery on e-bay pretty cheapo, like 20$ + shipping. I think it works, my original iBook however won't run off anythign except the power cord. no matter, I have an inverter in the Element, so i can still run it in the car, and most other places do have a plug if you ask. a minor hassle, but cheaper than service for now until i can afford that juicy 17"-er.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Badger said:
Mothgirl has a point. Check this before you try OS X: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25517.
Apart from that I would recommend the OS 9 versions of TechTool or DiskWarrior. These are both commercial products and are not cheap. You - or your friend - may not want to invest that much in an older computer.
a classic cpatible versoin of techtool is a good idea, and disk warrior IS NOT maintenance tool on os 9 or os x. but depending on the age of your computer, as badger said, you may not ant to make such investments.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.