Those who went from 3G to 3GS...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 500GB HDD, 8GB Ram / iPhone 4 32GB / Nano, Touch & Classic / iMac / Apple TV / iPad 64
Help me out here, I was about to buy a 3GS 16GB from Apple on o2 here in the UK and put my contract sim card in it. That is £440 of my hard earned.

Now, I have been offered an 8GB 3G by a friend for £200.

What are the real world differences? I can live with 8GB as I have done with my iPod Touch for a while, and the only other downside I can see is the camera quality? What else is likely to annoy me and make me wish I had spent the extra £240??

What real world differences are there in speed?

Bearing in mind I am coming from a GPRS/Edge only BB Curve 8900 so the speed will be an increase for me anyway.

What would you do??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
The camera is a little bit better but nothing special.

The phone feels faster compared to the 3G. Applications starts faster and so on. Its up to you. I got the 3GS.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 500GB HDD, 8GB Ram / iPhone 4 32GB / Nano, Touch & Classic / iMac / Apple TV / iPad 64
OK, well chaps, I decided to go for the bog standard 3G 8GB, purely because he came along and offered me a straight swap with my Blackberry Curve.

I paid £100 for that about 2 months ago, so I'm £340 better off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
I got my aunts old 8gb 3g iphone cuz she upgraded to the 3gs 32gb iphone. I didn't notice a difference. It is slight but not enough for me to spend that much more money. 8gb is good because I just have some songs on it. but i have all my songs on my 30gb ipod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
I got my aunts old 8gb 3g iphone cuz she upgraded to the 3gs 32gb iphone. I didn't notice a difference. It is slight but not enough for me to spend that much more money. 8gb is good because I just have some songs on it. but i have all my songs on my 30gb ipod.

i would have to agree with you...

Reaction score
its not a slight increase in speed but a major increase in speed. You aren't noticing much difference is because you aren't using the intensive task, try using it with a navigator software,

to me the 3GS is a viable upgrade provided u got it at the discounted price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Very slight speed boost in my opinion. I only had to throw in 50 bucks to boot so I upgraded. If it would have been more than that I would not have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
3GS is MUCH faster than the 3G....don't let people tell you otherwise. I've done side by side tests with all three iPhones and the 3GS is a
very noticeable increase in speed.

Reaction score
I would suggest a 3GS, its fast and what makes me love about this is the speed very fast responce at the slightest touch of the screen, and then the GPS where i can get my exact coordinates in areas i visit...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
At the moment I own a 3G. I have been debating buying the new 3GS. Would I be wise to invest in one now? Or wait another year for a new iPhone to come out. I am sure the next version will include much larger innovations but I am not sure if I am willing to wait. Any opinions on the subject would be helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Honestly I would wait... I bet the next iphone is going to have way better innovations and be much cooler. However you can always do what most people do and get the 3GS and then when the new iphone comes out just sell your old 3GS and buy the new one out right with the money you got from ur old phone. Make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Yah, thats a good option. I think for now I am going to stick with 3G just because it suits all my current needs for a phone, and than some. I will definitely invest in the next version of the iPhone because I am sure it will have some new physical features.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.