Realplayer

S

StarDrifter

I have realplayer and firefox installed in my system.

I want to play streamed media files from a radio website that is in the *.smi format.

However, when I click on this in firefox, instead of playing it with realplayer as it does on Windows, the only option is to "save to disk"

What to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
In the real player preferences you should be able to set the file types it handles. I'm not sure if Real on Mac is setup to work with Firefox directly. Perhaps someone else that uses Firefox can answer that question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
when I use firefox, it asks what to do, and I am allowed to select open with and choose an app, realplayer in this case, and it works, perhaps its your settings in either firefox or realplayer, or a problem with the sites files. can you possibly post a link for others to attempt? have you tried safari, just in case?

OP
S

StarDrifter

It's from a hong kong radio station.

Here's a link: http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/radio1/Superman/20050408.html

When I click on the realplayer icon, I only get one option - and that's save to disk. It identifies the file as a "shrinkwrap self mounting image". It's only the *.smi file that doesn't work. Other realmedia streaming types like *.ram works.

Safari doesn't work at all. When I click on it, it automatically downloads the file to disk. Even *.ram streaming audio files from BBC radio station doesn't work an safari - it just saves to disk automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, that is odd, its an smil file, which I was able to play in real player via safari, but firefox downloads it and its an application, as smil is a small app format, its most likely saying only smi cause os x uses 3 letter extensions, but thats not even an audio format, its a small app that executes itself to do something, like play audio. when I used safari, it downloaded and opened and played in real player. if need be, I can do that again, and use audio hijack or wiretap to capture the audio, etc.

OP
S

StarDrifter

Macman said:
hmm, that is odd, its an smil file, which I was able to play in real player via safari, but firefox downloads it and its an application, as smil is a small app format, its most likely saying only smi cause os x uses 3 letter extensions, but thats not even an audio format, its a small app that executes itself to do something, like play audio. when I used safari, it downloaded and opened and played in real player. if need be, I can do that again, and use audio hijack or wiretap to capture the audio, etc.

Yeh, so it doesn't work in firefox for you too? There's no option to select which app to open with.

Any idea why realmedia is not working for me in safari?

So in safari does it download and automatically open and play in realplayer for you? It only downloads for me and does not play. Also *.ram does not play in safari as well, but works in firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, in safari, I clicked it, it downloads in safari's download manager, and realplayer opens and starts playing it. try checking your preferences in realplayer under the media types section.

OP
S

StarDrifter

I figured the best way to do it - and that's to use realplayer's browser to browse to the webpage ... and then when you click on the *.smi file it plays in realplayer like it should be doing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.