Who really knows their stuff? Messed up imac question.

Reaction score
If anyone can answer this complicated question, you will officially be the lord of all things mac in my eyes! :)

This is a long question, hang in there with me.

I have a imac g3 that was running os 10.3.2. It did not have a classic folder, so I attempted to reinstall the folder from one of my os9 disks, but it resulted in a mess. It brought the os back to 9.1 and I had to reinstall 10.1. Now, when I go to my start up disk it shows the 10.1, two 9's (still can't do classic though, I don't care about that anymore) and the 10.3.2 originally on it. There is also the "original files" file in the hd with that I believe is the 10.3.2 os.

I tried to restart the computer from 10.3.2 within the startup disk, and it still starts up in 10.1.

So, how do I get my 10.3.2 back? If it's still there, I should be able to tap back into it, correct? It would be great if I could somehow get classic working too, but at this point, I'm willing to disregard that in order to get the 10.3.2 back.

If you can answer this, I will personally crown you the mac king/queen of the year!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a confused mess with remnants of several operating systems. You really need to start over by booting with your 10.3.2 disk, wipe the drive with Disk Utility and then install 10.3.2. Afterward, you can install the classic folder. Of course before wiping the drive, back up whatever you can't afford to lose.

Regards.

Reaction score
If anyone can answer this complicated question, you will officially be the lord of all things mac in my eyes! :)

This is a long question, hang in there with me.

I have a imac g3 that was running os 10.3.2. It did not have a classic folder, so I attempted to reinstall the folder from one of my os9 disks, but it resulted in a mess. It brought the os back to 9.1 and I had to reinstall 10.1. Now, when I go to my start up disk it shows the 10.1, two 9's (still can't do classic though, I don't care about that anymore) and the 10.3.2 originally on it. There is also the "original files" file in the hd with that I believe is the 10.3.2 os.

I tried to restart the computer from 10.3.2 within the startup disk, and it still starts up in 10.1.

So, how do I get my 10.3.2 back? If it's still there, I should be able to tap back into it, correct? It would be great if I could somehow get classic working too, but at this point, I'm willing to disregard that in order to get the 10.3.2 back.

If you can answer this, I will personally crown you the mac king/queen of the year!
Edit: I agree with chscag. You've got a mess.

Did you try selecting 10.3.1 as your startup volume and then running the software update?

OP
L
Reaction score
Opps, should have mentioned, I do not have the 10.3.2 disks, the computer came with that on it. I have os 9 disk and the os 10.1 disks. I also have 10.2 but those are only resore disks that came with computers (I think). And I have 10.4 but it kernel panic'ed when I tried to install that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What type of Tiger disc do you have? By the sound of it a silver grey system restore disc which is very much model specific and which will boot only with the model it came with. Without Panther OS X.3 discs you will not be able to install that after formatting the drive.

Your OS 9 problems sound like the option to install OS 9 drivers was not selected at the time of formatting when OS X.1 was originally installed. If you only wish to use what you have, and not purchase a full retail install DVD for Tiger, boot from the OS X.1 disc by holding down 'C" after the chime, go to Utilities > DIsk utility > Erase and wipe the drive. Then format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) making sure you select the option to install OS 9 drivers.

Proceed with OS X.1 install, and then install Classic OS 9.1 and update as far as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Opps, should have mentioned, I do not have the 10.3.2 disks, the computer came with that on it. I have os 9 disk and the os 10.1 disks. I also have 10.2 but those are only resore disks that came with computers (I think). And I have 10.4 but it kernel panic'ed when I tried to install that.

I hope the computer was free. I'd never buy one without the OS discs for it. And that brings up a question. Is your 10.4 disc the retail edition, or is it a grey disc? If the latter, it probably is not for that model. I'm told you can get 10.5 for $16 from 1-800-myapple. I haven't called yet...

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, the 10.4 disks are model specific then, they are only the two grey/silver disks. So those are out. I'm just kicking myself for screwing up this machine! I'll have to purchase an updated os, which is a complete pain since it will be more expensive than the computer was itself. Urgh!

OP
L
Reaction score
P.S. I would need to purchase a Full Install Retail version of a newer os, correct? NOT an update, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct. You don't purchase updates. They're free. You pay when you upgrade, or in cases like yours. So, you got the computer for less than $16?!!

OP
L
Reaction score
No, got it for $36, but the disks on ebay are much more than that. I'm leary of the $16 price, doesn't seem legit based on what I'm seeing online. Plus being that you have to call too. Anyone have experience with that, or know of other places that may have os disks for "cheap"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it looks too good to be true, as the old adage says, it IS!

Tiger full retail install discs will run you from about $80-$100 on eBay but make sure you purchase the black discs. There are so many shonky sellers about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it looks too good to be true, as the old adage says, it IS!

Sigh! The first mention of that deal I ran across here seemed to be saying the Poster paid $16 and got the retail disc. I wrote down the number, but didn't call. Now, why bother? Another post indicates the price is only for replacements for your model's discs. I assume some proof of ownership is then required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.