MacBook Pro or Mac mini

Reaction score
I'm currently a PC user and i want to switch to Mac .. I use my PC on a 40" LCD with wireless mouse and keyboard

My 1st option is Mac mini because it meant to be used like this

My question is if i can use a macbook pro as a mini ( plugged to tv mouse and keyboard . working 24/7 ) will that effect the laptop in anyway ?

The reason i want a macbook pro instead of a mini is that i want to use it as a laptop and a desktop ( if i can for watching movies and stuff like that )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea you can do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Go for the MacBook Pro! It will do everything the Mini will do and then some. Also, a ton easier to upgrade. I have both, but if I had to choose one it would be the MBP in a heartbeat!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Im about to point out another one of macs unfortunate flaws :(

If you are connecting to and lcd tv im assuming it has at least one hdmi port on it? You will need to buy a usb/hdmi converter to hook your MBP to it because they lack hdmi ports. :Oops:

Of course there are alternatives, such as purchasing a mini dvi / hdmi cable :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro

If you are connecting to and lcd tv im assuming it has at least one hdmi port on it? You will need to buy a usb/hdmi converter to hook your MBP to it because they lack hdmi ports. :Oops:

What the heck does USB have to do with hooking up a MBP to a TV? You will need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter if connecting to a LCD with HDMI.

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters now available for under $20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Between those 2 ,of course get the macbook pro. But, the pro is going to cost twice what the mini costs. You will be happier with the macbook pro because even if you get the mini it will keep bugging you until you wind up getting that macbook pro after all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

How many laptops or entry level PC desktops have HDMI ports built in to them? The desktop might if you purchased an upgraded video card, but I don't see how that's that much better than buying a $20 adaptor.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thank you guys .. so from what i understood the macbook will not suffer if i treat it like mini ( working 24/7 )

is there any difference between mini DVi and mini displayport port in terms of quilty ?

looks like ill get the pro .. ill be broke lol but i think its wroth it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What the heck does USB have to do with hooking up a MBP to a TV? You will need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter if connecting to a LCD with HDMI.

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters now available for under $20

I was referring to the fact that he previously had a PC which have hdmi ports thus enabling him to have a dual male hdmi cord (which he probably has, or vga/hdmi)... if you weren't an ignorant tool you'd have known that :) Try not to flame over things you lack knowledge about

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How many laptops or entry level PC desktops have HDMI ports built in to them? The desktop might if you purchased an upgraded video card, but I don't see how that's that much better than buying a $20 adaptor.

Well if you go to places such as Dell.com or Hp.com and look at their entry level laptops you will find its quite the rave...

**sigh**

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
is there any difference between mini DVi and mini displayport port in terms of quilty ?

You won't have a choice. The Macbook Pro comes with a Mini Display Port. So that's what you'll have to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.