Ram

Reaction score
Hey guys!

You guys are awesome whenever it comes to answering my questions, so here's a series of questions for you guys to answer, if you don't mind.

So, I'd like to pump the RAM of my Macbook (white, 2007) and my iMac (2007 as well) as I think 1GB of RAM isn't really enough. I'd like to bump it up to about 2GB, but tempering with the hardware of my Macs isn't something that I have done before, and I am somewhat nervous about doing so.

Now, I understand that you can buy RAM from Apple.com, and I also know how easy it is to swap an older RAM for the new. However, Apple tends to sell really expensive RAM as compared to the market price, which is why I'd like to buy my own RAM from external source. However, at the same time, I have heard of external RAMs not being compatible with Mac, and as a result screwing everything up. Also, I am not sure of what I need to do before I change the RAM, so here are the questions.

1) How much in terms of price are we talking about if I just want to bump it up to 2GB?
2) What brand specifically should I be getting if I don't want to purchase from Apple?
3) What preparations do I need to do before I change the RAMs on my Macs?

Thank you so much for your time!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Being as how you're not familiar with, nor even have a preference for RAM manufacturers.

I'd suggest you visit OWC or Crucial or both. I believe both of these are the #1 hit searching with google.

Both will walk you through getting the proper memory for your machine. They are not the cheapest. But, you probably wouldn't save but $5-10 for a 2 GB stick. Both provide lifetime warranty and have pretty good customer service.

Prep: Decide what you want and order it.

How to change the RAM will be in the booklet that came with your Mac. It's quite easy.

OP
P
Reaction score
Being as how you're not familiar with, nor even have a preference for RAM manufacturers.

I'd suggest you visit OWC or Crucial or both. I believe both of these are the #1 hit searching with google.

Both will walk you through getting the proper memory for your machine. They are not the cheapest. But, you probably wouldn't save but $5-10 for a 2 GB stick. Both provide lifetime warranty and have pretty good customer service.

Prep: Decide what you want and order it.

How to change the RAM will be in the booklet that came with your Mac. It's quite easy.

Is it cheaper on OWC and Crucial than on Apple.com?

And, what is the difference between buying one 2GB stick and buying two 1GB sticks?

I am running on 1GB right now, and with Skype, Adium, Safari, and Tweetdeck opened, my available memory pretty much shrinks down to less than 20mb. Do you think 2GB would be enough?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Everyone is cheaper than Apple for memory.

2. Get the 2 x 1GB sticks to maintain dual channel mode - too long to explain here - you can look it up if you want

3. You have to add the inactive and free memory together to have a total of available memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.