Advice for logo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Yeah so wanting some tips and a little bit of advise to help me out some, since I tend to lack in art skill. Just for your information this would be on the headstock of my guitar either as a wood burning, engraving or an engraving in mother of pearl. So that being said it has to be somewhat simple but doesn't mean it can't look nice.

This is what I came up with, it is not a scale rendering of it.
guitarlogo.png

and here is a mock up of the entire headstock with the image.
headstocklayout.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
What is the finish of your headstock? I think if it was a darker finish mother or pearl would look fantastic, orif it's a lighter color, a wood burning would look really good too! I like the logo btw, what's the story behind it?

OP
gagnerants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a light finish aka maple, the story behind it is that it is my last name. The further story behind it is that I would like my guitar to seem more "professional" done and so would some of my friends that have guitars I built for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Very nice, I say go for the wood burning! Idk how the logo will look like on the headstock exactly, but I say it could be bigger ;)

Are you going to post pics of it when it gets finished?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm a little confused..? Is the type the logo or the whole thing as a whole.

It's a little distracting if it's the entire head stock + the type.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Logo looks nice. I never knew you made guitars besides played them! Very cool.

OP
gagnerants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a little confused..? Is the type the logo or the whole thing as a whole.

It's a little distracting if it's the entire head stock + the type.
The lettering is the logo, so it would be added to the various guitar that I do build over time.

And to dtravis, yes my love of music led to the creation of the instruments, if it was not for this economic down turn I would have gone to a vocational school to turn my passion into a career. I tend to stick with the old fashion style of mostly using hand tools, nothing to much of a large machine, cause you get to miss out on the shaping of the guitar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Are you going to use different headstock styles?
What you have now would work for a straight 6 headstock, but not so much for a 3x3 style (IMO).

On a side note, I had custom headstock done on a guitar that used my band's logo (attached).

hs3.jpg

hs2.jpg

liny.jpg

OP
gagnerants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you going to use different headstock styles?
What you have now would work for a straight 6 headstock, but not so much for a 3x3 style (IMO).
For the standard 3 by 3 tuning peg, it would have to be without an angle with a changing of the font style to something without much curves, with that being said it would bring up the issue of creating additional logo styles to suit my "customers" and the issue of headstock sizes or custom made headstocks.

edit: thanks for bringing it up now, it would have been something fun to try to bang out while workin on a 3by3 stock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the standard 3 by 3 tuning peg, it would have to be without an angle with a changing of the font style to something without much curves, with that being said it would bring up the issue of creating additional logo styles

Or you could make 1 logo that best fits a straight 6 and 3x3.

OP
gagnerants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or you could make 1 logo that best fits a straight 6 and 3x3.
That would be a good idea, I think it would be fairly hard to do, it might be ideal to have different styling of logos based on the "model" of the build to say. Somewhat thinking about hiring one of my buddies in the art program to draw up mock ups and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it might be ideal to have different styling of logos based on the "model" of the build to say..

I get what you're saying, that would definitely give it the custom feel to the instrument.

OP
gagnerants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a little update, I won't be doing anything for sure until I get this logo down pat, and make a choice on if I am going to have a few different designs or just one.

JMO

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to buy a script typeface that is only liscensed to you and build your logo in the same arrangement. Not only will you have the exclusive use of the font, but people like me won't be able to spot Zapfino type a mile away. Another Idea would be to find a friend or yourself for that matter, and do some calligraphy writing by hand saying Gagne guitars, and then trace and freshen it up in Illustrator. I like where you're heading with it, but the typeface chosen ruins it for me.

JMO

Reaction score
I did a quick and dirty logo just as an idea for you. The nice thing about the name is that you have the classic repeating letters in each word which you can easily create some sort of logo with.

gagne.jpg

Reaction score
You know, if it's your name, and it's a personal logo, how about a classic john hancock? Do your signature on a page over and over again, and find the best one. Make sure it's' nice and neat, then scan it into the computer. Trace it out (using pen / strokes) and bam, the original gagne signature guitar. No other logo will look the same, and it is YOURS. just an idea :]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.