Upgrading iMac G5 RAM

S

saito

Hi,

I recently bought an iMac G5 17" 1.8GHz with 256MB of ram. I would like to upgrade the ram by myself but I don't know how. Where I live there are no Apple stores, so I have to do it by myself.

I searched the web for a guide but I didnt find anything. Can anyone help me with a step by step guide (with pictures if possible) on how to add an extra 256 mb stick in my iMac.

Thanks...
:mac:

OP
S

saito

I just realized, after hours of searching the net, the memory ugrade guide is right under my nose in the User's Guide that came with the iMac...

silly me =P

Mod, you can delete this thread

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Actually, this thread may in fact be useful to some. Not eveyone knows that the user's guide shows how to upgrade the iMac G5's memory.

Reaction score
My School just upgraded from the G5s to the latest ones. look pretty flash..... anyway, i got one of their old ones cheap:

1.8 GHz single processor, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB Hard drive, OSX v3.9.

since its my first mac, i was just wondering weather its as easy to upgrade the ram and hard drives as it is on a PC. ALSO, am i pushing it too far by putting in 4gig of ram or should i just go to something like 2 gig. just incase the OS or processor couldnt handle that much random access......

this is my studio computer for recording and mixing sound and stuff, so i want it to run better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.