Older Mac G5 Memory Issues

Reaction score
Long story short. GF has a Mac G5 that was having start up problems and freezing. I noiced that when booting up there is a led on the power button that would flash 3 times. I looked this up on the web and it is an indication of bad memory. I bought the exact same spec memory at a computer store. Put it in and it works on first boot up. Then the same issues come back. Now it seems worse. Can't even get the mac to boot up. Push power button, fans come on but no sound and then the led starts flashing. I've searched a lot on the net and I find it hard to believe that macs need some kind of super special ram. Ram is ram. So what else do I need to check? Thanks....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Long story short. GF has a Mac G5 that was having start up problems and freezing. I noiced that when booting up there is a led on the power button that would flash 3 times. I looked this up on the web and it is an indication of bad memory. I bought the exact same spec memory at a computer store. Put it in and it works on first boot up. Then the same issues come back. Now it seems worse. Can't even get the mac to boot up. Push power button, fans come on but no sound and then the led starts flashing. I've searched a lot on the net and I find it hard to believe that macs need some kind of super special ram. Ram is ram. So what else do I need to check? Thanks....

Ram is not ram! Sometimes ram meant for Windows computers is not always compatible with Macs.

Go to:

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

...and get the memory you need there.

Hope this helps...good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick has advised the memory is different. As a general rule PCs use cheaper high density memory and Macs low density modules. See if you can get your money back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.