Transferring music

Reaction score
I have been trying to transfer all my music files for the longest time. I have two mac's, Macbook Pro and the iMac. All my music is on my Macbook Pro and I want to get the same music on the iMac. I have tried a few things. Transferring all music to an external hard drive, connecting the Macbook pro to the iMac firewire, and the new home sharing. Each way I have tried is very much unsuccessful. Most of my music comes from CD's that I bought, and very little from the iTunes store. Every time I try to transfer the music only just over 500 will transfer, and I have 5,000. I've tried bulk and section and everything else. I haven't had a problem with transferring music until I put it on the Macbook pro.

What can I do?

Reaction score
When you said Firewire, did you mean Target Mode?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why not just make a home network between your Mac Machines and just share your music?

It's better that way because you won't clutter your other machine.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, umm what?

I just want the music on the imac. period. also the external HD.

And firewire... target,.... what?

I thought I was computer smart, but now I just feel dumb.

Is there a step for step process in english I can do? Not computer english, just english english. lol

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yeah, umm what?

I just want the music on the imac. period. also the external HD.

And firewire... target,.... what?

I thought I was computer smart, but now I just feel dumb.

Is there a step for step process in english I can do? Not computer english, just english english. lol

Is all your music in one place? Have you tried grabing that folder and drag it to your external HD? Then connect your external and drag that folder over to your iMac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, I've tried that. It was transfer all my music.

After they are moved the are corrupted or something.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is for tiger to leopard but it should still work for what you are doing. To get into target disk mode, you hold down "T" during boot up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, you know what sucks.... I've tried that too.

It will transfer everything... but the music... only 500 of the songs.

Bah... sucks. It's this something I need to ask Apple about?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.