Considering buying my 1st Mac - Question about 'WINE'

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've always bought PC's and the main reason not to switch to a mac was due to not being able to run my pc software on it. (I generally hate change so have been using old versions over newer versions of software).

I see from the 'sticky' thread that WINE is a way of running PC programs without using a partition or having to reboot etc to switch systems, but it says that not all software will work with it (as it's not actually windows).

Can anyone tell me if the following would work with WINE:

Dreamweaver 4, photoshop 5

I'm new to all this so I won't understand technical terms.

Thanks for your help :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't tell you if either Dreamweaver or Photoshop will work with WINE, but they will work from a Windows VM. Parallels, Fusion, or even the free VirtualBox are good choices to run Windows in a virtual machine. No need for partitioning or rebooting.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
I can't tell you if either Dreamweaver or Photoshop will work with WINE, but they will work from a Windows VM. Parallels, Fusion, or even the free VirtualBox are good choices to run Windows in a virtual machine. No need for partitioning or rebooting.

Regards.

Hey thanks. I'm not sure what any of that means or how I'd go about it, but it looks like it'll do what I'm after so I'll worry about doing once I get the Mac!! Thanks for your help.

Cheers :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Just thought of another question - would doing the above mean I would need to purchase a copy of Windows? If so would an OEM version do, or would it need to be the full version?

Just wondering as I'd need to take that into account in addition to the cost of buying the Mac. Starts getting pricey.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you would need to purchase a legal copy of Windows. The most economical purchase would be an OEM System Builders copy of XP Home SP3. It's sold at NewEgg, Amazon, and several other reliable web merchants. Prices vary. I bought my copy on sale from NewEgg for $64.00 and free shipping but that was some time ago.

Shop around but I recommend staying away from eBay and Craig's list for that particular item. Too many fake copies being sold there.

Think about the cost in this light: When you purchase your Mac, you get a top of the line machine which not only runs the world's best operating system, but can also run Windows. Best of both worlds. :)

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, especially with the tips on buying XP and not getting ripped off!!! :)

I will seriously have to consider the cost though, as my budget for a PC was £350 - £500. I'll have to spend a lot more than that to get a mac (which I can't really afford right now) so to add yet another £100 - £200 odd for XP means it's not really a viable option right now.......even if it is great value for money.

I agree with you though that you get the best of both worlds. My better half has had macs for many years (never owned a PC), so I know how good they are.

Anyone got an answer to my original question as to whether the programs would work on WINE? Or that something that costs a fair amount to set up also?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.