OSX Questions

Reaction score
I'm gonna sound like a massive newb here because I'm sure this is an old topic, but my philosophy is if it ain't broke don't fix it and I'v been on the same G4 for 8 years now. I recently bought a used G5 and was dumbfounded when I called Apple and inquired about Snow Lep and they told me that going forward ALL new OS will be ONLY for the new Intel computers.

In a nutshell, in your professional opinions. Did that just mean that they basically turned their back on millions of faithful G3 G4 G5 users and if you don't have an Intel system you will NEVER be able to upgrade to anything further than Leopard???????:Shouting:

Reaction score
Aye... it stings, doesn't it.

But what is your reason for not wanting an Intel machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Here's how I look at it - progress is progress - eventually, old models are deemed EOL, at which time there will be no more continuing support in terms of updates. This happens with all manufacturers that continue to develop new technology and new software.

Snow Leopards hardware requirements have been known for a long time (prior to release), and it's a topic that has been debated before. In my opinion, it's just come to a state where Apple had to draw a line to allow for continuing advances without being forced to be tied to antiquated equipment.

It would be a difficult teething problem for anyone that hadn't upgraded their gear in years, but whether it happened with SL, or the next OSX or the next after that - eventually it would happen. I expect some day it will happen to the CoreDuo Macs and the first gen Xeon Macs when the OS will be ONLY 64 bit, requiring at least a 64 bit processor to operate.

For now at least Leopard is still a fine OS, and will probably continue to receive patches for quite a while to fix security issues and other updates. It may just be time to consider saving your pennies to buy a new computer :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In a nutshell, in your professional opinions. Did that just mean that they basically turned their back on millions of faithful G3 G4 G5 users and if you don't have an Intel system you will NEVER be able to upgrade to anything further than Leopard???????:Shouting:

Yeah. It's not like it never happened before.

My three Macs:
G3
Core 2 Duo

Both times I bought new Macs, it was just before the processor became the old technology.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.