brown horizontal line across screen

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a brown horizontal line going across my mac screen...the photo doesn;t do it justice...

SDC13082.jpg

I am not 100% what it is. It isn;t the glass, as hundreds have told me. I have a feeling it could be a magnet problem? :(

Any help is appriciated, as its now out of warranty.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You say it isn't the glass. Have you removed the glass to see if it's on the inside?

We'll assume you removed the glass and checked. Then....

Let's first find out if it's the monitor or the graphics card. If possible, hook an external monitor to your iMac or a TV monitor. Does the brown discoloration show up on the external monitor? If it does, then we know the problem has to do with the graphics card.

If the external monitor is OK, then we know the discoloration is limited to the internal monitor. Might be that the internal monitor itself is defective (bad pixels, etc) or maybe from external magnetism. External magnetism is sometimes caused by having large speakers close to the monitor. Usually that does not occur with a LCD but is rather more prevalent with CRTs. You could try using a CRT degausser coil if you can locate one to see if it will help.

Post back and let us know.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
I've seen this a few times... like chscag stated its most likely a magnetism problem, however.. it could also be due to physical damage. You haven't accidentally bumped or knocked it have you?

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello.

Yes I have removed the glass and its clean, the blemish is still visable...and it hasn't been bumped or anything.

I have tried this with an external monitor and it was ok, thus I think it is a magnet problem. As I am aware, I haven't had it near any strong magnets. I do have speakers in the room, but we are talking about 1 metre away. It is out of warranty you see, and I was wondering would apple care be able to rectify this problem? Or is it a case of a DIY job myself and try and get a coil...although this is an LCD (Imac 24"), would this work with this type of monitor?

Al.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Hello.

Yes I have removed the glass and its clean, the blemish is still visable...and it hasn't been bumped or anything.

I have tried this with an external monitor and it was ok, thus I think it is a magnet problem. As I am aware, I haven't had it near any strong magnets. I do have speakers in the room, but we are talking about 1 metre away. It is out of warranty you see, and I was wondering would apple care be able to rectify this problem? Or is it a case of a DIY job myself and try and get a coil...although this is an LCD (Imac 24"), would this work with this type of monitor?

Al.

If you paid for the apple care plan and its still valid they should take care of it as long as they cannot determine it was non-accidental.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.