Problems Networking 2 Computers with Time Capsule

Reaction score
I have 2 macs I'd like to connect to a time capsule for Internet access, File sharing and Backup.

I have cable internet with Cox cable.

It's going to be a wired Cat5 network, not wireless.

Both computers are running Leopard 10.5.8 - with most updated version of Airport Utility.

Comp#1-MacG5
1. Doesn't have Built in Airport Card
2. Connects to Internet :)
2. Sees/Connects to Time Capsule (TC's light is green)
3. In the HD's Sidebar > Shared, I see Comp#2-MacMini but unable to access files/wont connect to Comp#1-MacMini's HD

Comp#2-MacMini
1. Doesn't Connect to Internet :(
2. Sees/Connects to Time Capsule
3. In the HD's Sidebar > Shared(Actually I Have a Shared in Sidebar like I do on the Comp#1-MacG5

Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
i assume that with Cox Cable you got a modem - connect ethernet lead between that and Time Capsule then connect ethernet leads between Time capsule and Mini and Time Capsule and G5. Then with Modem set to handing out DHCP go into airport utility and set TC to Bridge mode per pic;

Click for full size

and that should do it.

OP
F
Reaction score
i assume that with Cox Cable you got a modem - connect ethernet lead between that and Time Capsule then connect ethernet leads between Time capsule and Mini and Time Capsule and G5. Then with Modem set to handing out DHCP go into airport utility and set TC to Bridge mode per pic;

Click for full size

and that should do it.

When I access the airport utility - the only different settings between mine and your example is, I dont have the DNS Servers input fields filled out.

I'm assuming that the settings i see for the TC from my Comp#1-MacG5 are the Same settings Im seeing from the Airport Utility on Comp#2-MacMini?

Do I need my cable company to give me(make me purchase) another ip address...

Do you have 2 computers set up this way?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
On mine with 10.5.8 the DNS numbers were filled in automatically, which brings us back to the question - Is the Modem set to hand out DHCP? If you have not checked the Admin page of the modem then you could contact your ISP for doing that. If the modem is bridged then u might have to set the TC to Share a single IP address. Not using cable so i cannot help you further.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since you're using the TC as your router and with all wired devices you shouldn't need to make any settings in Airport Utility.

Since you've already been in there, open up Airport Utility, go to the Manual Setup and select the Restore Factory Default.

The modem is going to hand out the single IP assigned to you by your ISP to the TC. The TC will then handout IP addresses to your connected devices and should do this automatically without the need for your input.

After the TC has reset - reboot both of your computers and see if you now have internet access.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.