The 'Dongggg' has gone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
On starting up my iMac I don't get the familiar 'DONGGGG' sound :Shouting:

No mutes are turned on, sound is on...any ideas how to get my 'DONGG' back:[

Reaction score
For future reference that "DONGG" sound is called chime.

And no, no idea. Maybe try resetting the PMU?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Have you been using the audio out socket for external speakers? If so, the contacts inside may have stuck in the 'open' position, thus muting sound to the internal speakers (an event that occurred with my eMac).

Use a dummy 3.5 mm audio plug, or the regular one you might be using (turn any amplifier off though) to poke around inside the audio out socket, inserting and removing the plug several times. That may restore the sound.

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
Have you been using the audio out socket for external speakers? If so, the contacts inside may have stuck in the 'open' :[ ed with my eMac).

Use a dummy 3.5 mm audio plug, or the regular one you might be using (turn any amplifier off though) to poke around inside the audio out socket, inserting and removing the plug several times. That may restore the sound.

No, never messed with the audio plug:[

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.