Why am I Getting lines across my screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
I noticed about 3 weeks ago that I started getting these strange lines across my screen, looks like it could possibly have something to do with my graphics/video card but I'm not sure. I've even tried doing a fresh install of Leopard but I was still seeing the lines.

mm8k1s.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What vintage of MacBook Pro is that?

Some MacBook Pros powered by the NVIDIA 8600M chip are effected by a known defect. Apple has extended the warranty to cover this defect.

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
Not sure what you mean by that but this should help answer your question

15ffzmr.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That looks like a first generation machine. In that case, you have an ATI X1600 GPU and shouldn't be effected by that defect.

It could be a bad flex cable, or the GPU may be running too warm (it might not be a bad idea to open it up and blow the fans out with some compressed air). How handy are you with hardware?

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
Not too experienced with opening up computers. Might just have to take it over to the Apple store and have them take a look at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Hate to say it but those are the first signs of a GPU (graphics processor) loosing its solder joints.. Funny thing is (not funny ha ha but irony) Apple is not the only manufacturer that has these issues HP, Compaq and the like all have laptops with GPU separation "anxiety" issues

See what an Apple Genius says they might be able to help. and hope ist not a full system board replacement at your cost.

*********** Do this at you own risk and I take no responsibilities ***********
*** side note if its out of Warranty and you have no other options and it gets worse.. if you feel comfortable doing this
Lift the keyboard up between the 2 fans you can see the traces and solder joints that got to the cpu and gpu.. turn the
computer
on press option so it does not go in to the OS use a hair dryer and just hold it over that area and watch the screen. If the lines
go away or get worse you know that the gpu is the problem..... don't get it hot enough to melt anything plastic or otherwise
this will sometimes reflow just enough of the solder to see if it works.. if you not comfortable doing this DON"T
***********Do this at you own risk and I take no responsibilities************

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
I was just working on my computer and all of a sudden my external monitor shut off then froze my whole computer and then my main monitor started changing to a weird purplish color. I've taken a pic here. What could this possibly be??

28umix4.jpg

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
Here's another snapshot of what it looks like when Im just browsing the internet.
2qsncif.jpg

Reaction score
yup that is video card failure. When a GPU is too hot or hard hardware problems it will create artifacts like that, if its heat, it'll go away after it cools down, if not then u are looking at a new video card replacement, and i doubt its very easy to do on these macbook. Good Luck

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
Could this also cause my computer to freeze randomly? because it has been doing that as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Yes the video chip issues will also cause your system to freeze up ...

Was a big issue with the G3 ibooks and some G4's seems the problem is
Back .. as said before .. not just an Apple issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Video card failure right there in a nutshell. That or its getting close to overheating and is becoming unstable and artifacts. I've had a video card die on me and thats what started happening at first. I hope you have warranty!! Goodluck!

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
Crap thats not good, what if I just got one of those cooling pads maybe that Would help? I took it in to the apple store to get an estimate and they said they would have to replace the whole board which would be a total of $310 since my Apple Care is expired. Maybe there's a cheaper way if I could somehow get the parts and repair it myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Unfortunately if its at all times it seems your gpu is on its way out. A cooling pad only decreases the temps by about 5-10*c, Have you tried running istat for your dashboard? it will tell you what your GPU CPU and everything else temps are running at. let us know what numbers you find. Under heavy load my gpu sees a max of 65*C

That link will show you the way
--Click ME--

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drumkey,

you can try the cooling pad... and if it works its only temp, eventually it will
destroy it self... the chip is soldered to the logic board.. there are some
companies that say they can reflow the BGA(ball grid aray) but you have
to remove the logic board and send it to them... check ebay think its 50$ to
75$ plus shipping..

or replace the logic board your self .. either way your diggin in to your MBP and can cause other issues.

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
Hey, thanks for the tip I already had the iStat pro widget didn't even think to look in there to see what my temperatures were. They are extremely high, take a look...

n6lb5.jpg

Unfortunately if its at all times it seems your gpu is on its way out. A cooling pad only decreases the temps by about 5-10*c, Have you tried running istat for your dashboard? it will tell you what your GPU CPU and everything else temps are running at. let us know what numbers you find. Under heavy load my gpu sees a max of 65*C

That link will show you the way
--Click ME--

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, thanks for the tip I already had the iStat pro widget didn't even think to look in there to see what my temperatures were. They are extremely high, take a look...

n6lb5.jpg

OMG is that Celcius?!!!? No wonder!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty sure that's Farenheit. The temps are definitely on the high side.

I'll bet you've got some gunk clogging up your vents and fans. It might over be over-application of thermal compound. Both of which are relatively easy to fix, assuming you're handy with hardware.

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
Yes, that is Fahrenheit, not Celsius. I have a friend who is better at hardware than I am. I'll have him come over and open it up. Im to afraid to mess with that kinda stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
screenshot20090928at837.png

this is what im running at right now in F, sorry I live in Canada so we don't use F, we use C.

I hate to say it but , unless your doing stuff under load and it gets really really hot. If you see it artifact see what temperature your running at. Unless its happening when you took that shot.. If so then i'd have to say your card is done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.