what happened?! & 1 tb external hd isn't 1 tb.....

Reaction score
so i had my tb loaded with goodies...

i was surfing the other day... all of a sudden, my external hd window pops up and files start getting deleted... i had over 900 gigs, and it all got deleted literally within 15 seconds.... Does anyone know what happened? -it was all gone.... -not even in the trash... simply vanished...

I tried numerous programs... and nothing seemed to fully recover my stuff...

So i decided to just start all over... so now that my Tb is empty, it only reads 931.28 gigs... where did 68.72 gigs go? -i remember when i first got it brand new, it wasnt a full 1000 gigs.... but it was never that low...

Is there anything i can do to "gain" back my gigs?
Does anyone know why i lost all my data?

Please forgive me, I'm not too smart with computers. :)

thanks so much
kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBook White, iMac G3 Strawberry, iBook Clamshell Indigo.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So i decided to just start all over... so now that my Tb is empty, it only reads 931.28 gigs... where did 68.72 gigs go? -i remember when i first got it brand new, it wasnt a full 1000 gigs.... but it was never that low...
That's about right. It's the way hard drive sizes are calculated. Give this a read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And it is never again 1TB after the drive is formatted.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you update to Snow Leopard (which measures HDs in base 10 notation), you will see the size of your HD as more "realistic". For instance, SL reports my 320GB internal as 319.73GB.

Reaction score
Thats at least until he installs SL

EDIT: second

OP
veganlife
Reaction score
If you update to Snow Leopard (which measures HDs in base 10 notation), you will see the size of your HD as more "realistic". For instance, SL reports my 320GB internal as 319.73GB.

ok.

awesome!

so if i get snow leopard... what will that do with all my existing info? i assume EVERYTHING on my mbp will be wiped out??

again, sorry for the lack of knowledge for this stuff.. haha im not too bright...

and thanks to everyone giving advice. i greatly appreciate it and i love how so many people in here are soooo friendly!! :) -now if i could only get ppl to help me move to australia...

****. moving sucks. haha

have a great weekend all!
thanks again for your help!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.