New hard disk problem

Reaction score
Hello,

I've bought a Seagate 500Gb/7200rpm drive for may 17" MacBook Pro. Replaced it, installed the system but I noticed that generated too much heat and vibrations. It was very upsetting and therefore I've sent it back to Seagate. Within few days I got a new one.

Surprising that on the drive it states: "Certified repaired drive", made in China. OK, I installed it the same as the previous one. Boot up with the OSX in DVD drive and pressed "C" at startup. The problem is that it does not see the drive!!! I run the Disk Utility trying to partition it, but not drive...
On my previous installation on the 1st drive, the system could see it, portioned it with no problem.
Since I did not put the cover and screws back in (I had a feeling...), I noticed that the drive it does not spin up, no noise, nada.
I verified the connection to the drive few times. I replaced it with the old drive and it is OK but not with this new one!

I booted up pressing "D" and run the diagnostic, found no problem but no drive was listed.
Am I missing something or the new Seagate is screwed? Is there anything more to try?
Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Solution: Call Seagate support, obtain RMA, send the drive back. If the drive doesn't spin up, it's not going to be seen by Disk Utility or anything else.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.