stupid mail question

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a stupid question to ask. I have a group of 17 people that I play hockey with,and I would like to email them all at the same time. I was wondering if there was a way to put them all in a group,and be able to just type in say "hockey" in the To: address block,and have the same message go out to all 17 at once. I am sure this is something that can be done,but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
Just create a group in your address book, then select the group when you select you To:. That should do it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is the address book the one that is in the dock,or are you talking about an address book in the mail program itself?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open up Address Book - yes the app, should be an icon for it in your dock if you haven't removed it - there is no address book in Mail - Mail uses the app Address Book

Go to File - New Group or just click the + under Groups

Name your new group Hockey and then add everyone you want in the group

In Mail - hit "New Message"

With the cursor in the "To:" box, click on the "Address" icon

Under group on the left, highlight Hockey

On the right, highlight the first person in the list

Scroll down so you can see the bottom of the list, hold the "shift" key and select the last person on the list

This will effectively highlight all names in the group on the right side

Press "Enter" - it will add everyone that you have an email address for - if you try this with a group that has no one with email addresses, it'll give you an annoying little beep

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks!! I think I have it figured out. New question. Why when I do a search in the mail program in the upper right corner for a particular email I find nothing even when I can see it right in front of me before I start typing? It used to work fine,but we had a hard drive failure last week,and now we have a new HD,Leopard,and iLife 08. No matter what I type in the search box it doesn't find anything.

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In Mail - hit "New Message"

With the cursor in the "To:" box, click on the "Address" icon

In fact it should work more easily than that, with cursor in address field just type H and hockey should be one of the choices available and if highlighted just type comma and all the hockey group addressees are added.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
nice one Collin - guess I never sent an email to someone that started with the same letter as one of my groups

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.