How Do I Uninstall Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
I recently installed the new OSX snow leopard and, honestly, can't wait to try it out.

Unfortunately, when i tried installing the optional software (done after FIRST installing Snow Leopard as the OS) it said that my computer was lacking an old Leopard 10.5.8 update that was needed before optional software for Snow Leopard could be installed.

I then downloaded the 10.5.8 update and when I tried to install it it said that I must have the old Leopard system running instead of the new Snow Leopard (completely understandable).

My question is: How do i uninstall Snow Leopard and return to my old Leopard system so that I can install the 10.5.8 update and then install my 10.6 OS again?

Is it located in my old Time Machine backups, because I can easily access those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
boot from the leopard disc, install leopard (preferably through an archive and install method), update leopard to 10.5.8, install snow leopard again, try the software disc again...

my question is why weren't you running the latest version of leopard? did you not have automatic updates enabled? If not, did you just ignore the prompt every time it asked you to install? Do you have really slow internet or something that would keep you from wanting to update? Excuse me if I'm being rude by asking or something, it just seems odd to me to not want to update when they become available, especially for someone who is excited about upgrading to 10.6... I always assumed that people installed the OS patch updates happily because, well, they're not a whole new OS, but they do offer either new features or better support.

If you didn't back anything up under snow leopard with time machine, you could probably boot from your leopard disc, zap the hard disk, and then restore from a time machine back up into whatever version of leopard you were running. Don't take my word for that though, wait for someone else to confirm.

OP
C
Reaction score
If i don't have the old 10.5 OS Leopard disc handy, is there a way to uninstall it without the disc?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If i don't have the old 10.5 OS Leopard disc handy, is there a way to uninstall it without the disc?

No. You'll need your original System Discs (came with your Mac) or a retail copy of 10.5.

Of course, you could always restore the system from the backup you made just prior to the install. You did make a backup, didn't you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.