Firewire,Macs,startup

Reaction score
Guys.. Im new on forums and such so hello everbody!! :)

Basically I was trying to erase some space.

(I backed everything up on an external HD.)

I think I erased my 'user acount' by dragging my user acount into the trash can!!

then weird things happened so I restarted her up.. She wouldnt wake up!!!

My brother has a blackbook.. I have a macbook (white).

He thinks there is a way to fix my mac using firewire??

Pleeeeeeeeeeease help I'm lost without my mac!! :(

Thank you so much

Sarah

x :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome aboard. Some more questions first - when u did the back up how did u do it and what did u use? and when u dragged the user account to the trash was there already another user account on the computer and have you got the Install disk that came with the computer. And finally dont panic it is sortable, it is just a matter of which is the best method for your setup.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey Collin. So I backed it up onto an external hard drive.

Once I had done that I tired to erase all the data on my computers inernal disk in one big go so I just dragged all the biggest files (those those things that seem to house all of the other files in finder).. Like name, app, library etc.

It powers up but the apple logo appears and instantly starts flashing eraticaly with a no smoking signish type symbol.

I tried to firewire link it to my brothers mac but his harddrive is massive and bigger than mine so I couldnt do the disk image swappy thingy in disk utilities .

Is there a way to copy only a few things onto a flashdrive and start the macbook using a file copied from my brothers computer??

He has leopard and I have Tiger still because my DVD laser doesn't read disks anymore (which totally sucks!!)

Like whatever file I put in trash that made my computer go all funny must be on my brothers computer.. for instance a sort of 'start up' root path thingy???

Single user mode just says there is a problem booting from whatever the path was , the name of which '/trash/' was in the sentence.

I just tried to do single user again to see what it said and now it doesnt even come up!!! Just a symbol f a 'file' and a questionmark???

any help is much appreciated at this point guy!

XXX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Again when did you backup and how did you do it?

You do have troubles as you cannot boot from the install DVD to troubleshoot, repair disk or erase and reformat nor do a clean install which is what is required from your Tiger disk.

Either get another optical installed or see if you can get your hands on an external optical drive. No joy using a flash drive alas.

OP
M
Reaction score
Dude.. Is there a way I do it by holding the option key and having a flashdive with the apropriate file on it??

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u had used SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to do your back up you could have booted off of your Ext HD [if it was a Firewire unit on an older mac] and copied it all back and then start again to remove files in the correct way. So did u use either of those Apps for your back up?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey Collin,

No I didnt use either of those programs. Before I saved I formated the external harddrive (which is a toshiba 320gb steel) , I partitioned it to be 30 gb of MSDOS and the rest OS extended journal.

Can I get the backed up stuff.. and using disk utilty on another mac and a firewire cable erase the memory on my mac in target user mode, and then copy the information BACK into my macbook through the firewire using the other mac connected to my external hd??

There has to be a way!!

I really appreciate the favour guys!!!

OP
M
Reaction score
guys.. is there way way i can install leopard directly to my mac internal hd in target mode by using my brothers mac as the host?

can anyone recommend a thread that might help me..please

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.