• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Conversion program and iMovie

Reaction score
i was looking at past threads and i came across this program handbrake im at the site but it asks me which version of the program to get Mac OS X 10.5 GUI then there are 2 options download (32bit intel) or download (power PC) then another one Mac OS X 10.5 CLI Download (32bit intel) or download (power PC) i dont know what that stuff is and i don't wanna download the wrong version. im just trying to convert these files that were mpeg from my brothers sony camera. then converted them and are quick time movies but iMovie wont let me edit them. If anything just tell me what program to download and what format to convert them so i can edit them in i movie. they are just clips of soccer in total close to 2 minutes when added together just want to edit them and send to a friend.
P.S. i dragged files in iMovie even picked import in case you think i didnt do any of that stuff.
thanks for the help if any and please dont attack me lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
I would go for the GUI 32bit intel version...
Are you running snow leopard?
and for the format...
AVI is always a safe bet

OP
R
Reaction score
yup

yeah dude im running snow leopard and if it helps i got the 17inch mac 3.06ghz 4gb ram. what does powerbook mean? anyway hope you see this and hope this helps you to help me lol

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Until 2006, Macs used PowerPC processors, which were different from the Intel processors they use today.

Models with names like 'Powerbook' or 'PowerMac' were PPC machines.

OP
R
Reaction score
so snow leopard is 10.6 at the site it says 10.5 so i gotta wait till it says 10.6 to download it right? are there any other programs people use out there? and thanks cwa107 that puts things in perspective

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
so snow leopard is 10.6 at the site it says 10.5 so i gotta wait till it says 10.6 to download it right? are there any other programs people use out there? and thanks cwa107 that puts things in perspective

Most software that works with 10.5 should work with 10.6.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Handbrake works for me on 10.6. Worst case scenario: you just uninstall it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The other software you might want to try is MPEG Streamclip. Depends on what codec those Sony files are.

Do not export to AVI which is a container like QuickTime. Codecs such as H.264 and AIC (Apple Intermediate Coded) are best bets using the .mov extension. Yours has some other codec in it that iMovie doesn't like.

OP
R
Reaction score
cool vansmith i downloaded it and i guess it works but i downloaded stream clip before and it said it could convert but it didnt for me idk why i could add the 3 clips together. then i used quicktime to save them as a quicktime movie but nothing. i dont have the original videos so i cant convert them. so guess im just going to have to deal. but if i ever record another clip or something i'll just use hand break and convert them to h.264 like u said xstep. thanks guys

Reaction score
Hi everybody I'm sorry if i bother you with this but I can't figure out how to convert avi movies to mov or something else that can be edited in imovie....I downloaded streamclip but my avi file has no image, just sound and I converted it to mov but it still doesn't work, what should I do?...I tried different tutorials but can't find one that tells me step by step what to do with these avi movies to convert them into something that is accepted by imovie08...
appreciate the help!

oh yeah and i have mac os x version 10.5.6 2GHz Intel Core 2, 2 GB memory

I have tried to convert this avi file to something that works in imovie but I can't make it work....I don't know what to do...I have downloaded streamclip and watched some tutorials but it won't work....it converts the avi into a mov file but when i want to play it it has only sound...and no image...?!!!what can I do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.