• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New machine suggestions?

Reaction score
Background:
About a year ago I decided to get into the Mac world, although I was a bit hesitant. I had only worked with PC's in the past. So I started small and got the basic Macbook. I was using it for office work (documents, e-mail, internet) and some light to moderate Photoshop work.

Current setup:
Macbook
2.4GHz
2GB RAM
160GB HD

I was happy with the setup and basically turned my back on the PC world. I know it isn't a very powerful Mac, but it got the job done.

Now...I am starting to get into video editing with Final Cut. The videos I am working with aren't too big, but as I get further into this, the project sizes are increasing. I am also doing some tutorials with Camtasia.

Here comes the question:
I am looking at upgrading to an iMac. Time is money, so I can justify the expense of the new machine to save time. But how much time should I expext to save when rendering?

Let's say the Macbook takes 10 minutes to render a video with some transitions and effects. What could I reasonably expect an iMac to do the same work in?

For reference, I was looking at the
24" screen
4GB Ram
2.93 GHZ
$1799

Next question, is this the machine you would recommend? For $400 more should I jump up to the 3.06 GHz machine with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 with 512MB memory? Same qestion, what performance boost would I expect?

Most of my projects will be 5-10 minutes movies (at this point), but I don't want to limit they projects I can handle in the future.

This is a hobby/part-time business, so if I had to render large jobs, I could just start it at night and go to bed, no problem. What my issue is that I have been working (for example) with text and keyframing and you make a small change and it may take 30 seconds to re-render the clip so that you can see if you like it. Those 30 second "waits" add up while you are doing your post work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I went from a 1st gen 2.0ghz 2gb RAM MacBook Pro to my 3.06 iMac 8gb and it's WAYYYYY faster using FC & iMovie for loading, rendering, photos etc.

You'll like it.

OP
Dante2004
Reaction score
How much was the upgrade from 4GB to 8GB? Did it "come that way", or did you upgrade it at the store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Bought it from otherworld computing online for $520 - less then half what apple charges. Decided not to wait til dec...used my friend's machine with final cut and PS and it's quite a difference.

OP
Dante2004
Reaction score
I made up my mind...

Purchased a 24" 2.93GHz last night from the Apple store.

The people at the store are great...again...would never go back to the PC world and purchases at a big box store. Even if Mac's are perceived to "cost more"...the customer service and product quality more than makes up for it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.