Dual 2.7 G5 Fan Speed - What are these wires??

Reaction score
I understand the constant high fan speed has been a widely talked about subject, but I was wondering if the two pictures I've attached of 2 different wires (which are present at the front of the system) have anything to do with it. Where should they plug in?? Do they even matter. They are located to the left of the speaker/fan combo towards the front of the tower. The wires come up from underneath the logic board.
I'm not sure if they became loose at some point, but I thought I would ask...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Connector1.jpg

Attachments

• Connector2.jpg
    Connector2.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 11

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I understand the constant high fan speed has been a widely talked about subject, but I was wondering if the two pictures I've attached of 2 different wires (which are present at the front of the system) have anything to do with it. Where should they plug in?? Do they even matter. They are located to the left of the speaker/fan combo towards the front of the tower. The wires come up from underneath the logic board.
I'm not sure if they became loose at some point, but I thought I would ask...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Those two black wires are for an Airport/bluetooth combo card. In the photo with the yellow circle...there is a slotted bracket slightly down & to the right. That slot is where the card would go.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I thought I was on to something. I've pretty much given up on why all of my fans are going full bore...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply. I thought I was on to something. I've pretty much given up on why all of my fans are going full bore...

Some of the G5 models were known to be really loud...something like 9 fans in there.

The PowerPC CPU's generate a lot of heat...especially the faster G5 models. You have the dual-processor 2.7ghz model...this was the fastest dual G5 ever produced...and it still relies on fans to cool it.

Later G5 models switched to a liquid cooling system (plus fans).

Unless you can "nail-down" a reason for the loud fans...it may be just normal for a G5.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It also depends on what your doing. If your playing a lot of videos, graphics intense games, or messing around on You-Tube...that will generate much more heat than just doing e-mail.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I also surf on a prepress forum and many with the G5 and high fan noise found out that the motherboard shortly failed them and the technician put it down to overheating. The fans roaring are the systems way of trying to cool itself and this has become a tell all of possible upcoming failure of the motherboard. I might suggest a desk fan pointing into the box (perhaps open the case) to aid the fan and see if it helps.

The heat issue is THE reason I never bought a G5.

I am not saying your machine is going to fail, but others who use the G5 in a fast paced graphic shops using the machine heavily have found that these two are definitely linked. Occasional use certainly will extend the life of your machine. Be prepared and backup.

OP
K
Reaction score
The machine is a capture and layout station and never roared before. I've had our IT guy swap out the power supply (as that is what he thought might fix the problem), but to no avail. I've tried different ram, resetting the button below the ram slots, etc...

If it goes, it goes, just thought I would ask as it sounds like a wind turbine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The machine is a capture and layout station and never roared before. I've had our IT guy swap out the power supply (as that is what he thought might fix the problem), but to no avail. I've tried different ram, resetting the button below the ram slots, etc...

If it goes, it goes, just thought I would ask as it sounds like a wind turbine.

Makes sense that if it was "less loud" in the past...and more loud now...that something has changed.

Is this computer:

- being used differently than before (different computing tasks)?
- being used more (more hours continuously)?
- or has the hardware been changed (more ram, extra hard drives, different or 2nd video card, etc.)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
This is kind of a stupid question, but... the plastic piece on the side of the case that guards your internal components is properly in place, right? Otherwise, your fans will rev at full speed all the time.

OP
K
Reaction score
That's not a stupid question, that would be a valid reason. Unfortunately the contact point is working on the dust cover. Beats me ;(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you ever given the G5 a really good clean out, removing fans etc? Dust is a real enemy of G5 machines. Pay particular attention to the front inlet near the front leg. You should be able to fell a gentle breeze going in to the machine.

Also check out System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options and make sure "REDUCED" or "AUTOMATIC" have been selected on Processor Performance. Selecting "HIGHEST" can cause fan problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.