Mail is showing duplicated incoming messages !

Reaction score
My OS 10.6.1 mail is now showing duplicate incoming messages ( MS. Exchange account)bearing same time/date stamp !!

anyone else going through same experience?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Find the file called <com.Apple.Mail.plist>
It is in your Home folder (whatever you named it)>Library>Preferences NOT PreferencePanes.

Find that file and drag it to your Desktop. Now start up your Mail program and see if it's back to normal.
If it is, you can Trash that file you moved. Mail created a new one to replace it.
If for some reason you think you should keep the old file (more problems than you had before) you can.
Just drag it back into the Preferences folder and click YES to overwrite the one just created.

Reaction score
Why does mail duplicate messages?

Thank you toMACsh. That fix worked for me too. I am glad there is an easy fix but would love even more to not have to fix it in the future. Why does mail duplicate the emails? This is the second time they have spontaneously replicated. How can I prevent it?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I opened two mail viewing windows but I don't think that I did.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wish I knew. Actually, I've never used Mail once!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Reaction score
What do you use instead? Or are you using something like Gmail or some other webmail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Removing plist Doesn't Work on my MacPro ...

I tried removing the plist (com.Apple.Mail.plist) and that didn't work. I lost all of my e-mail ... !!! Good thing I kept the original ... !!!!

When I first removed the plist from the Library Preferences folder, I was at the original window where you have to set up your e-mail all over again.

So .... That method won't work for me. What can I do to stop the duplicate e-mail from pouring in ... ???

I get literally multiple thousands of duplicate e-mails. This has been happening for several years, and is getting to be extremely frustrating and very time consuming to remove them one by one ....

I probably still have over 10,000 (that's over ten thousand!) duplicate e-mails that I am working on removing manually ....

What a pain ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
apple mail duplicate email remover

I'm still searching for the download for this application which is supposed to remove duplicate messages in Apple Mail:

apple mail duplicate email remover

Has anyone tried this app? Did it remove all duplicate e-mail?

Is there any way to stop duplicate e-mail ... ???

Reaction score
Use "Rebuild" after remvong plist

vja4,

If I am understanding you correctly, I think the plist removal did not work for you because you missed a step.

It is in your Home folder (whatever you named it)>Library>Preferences NOT PreferencePanes.

Find that file and drag it to your Desktop. Leave it there because you will need it if this does not work.

Now open your mail and run Rebuild (last item under the Mailbox menu).

Another similar possibility is to do it this way:
You can try forcing the database to rebuild. Shut down Mail if it is running and use the Finder to navigate to ~/Library/Mail. Drag the file named Envelope Index to your desktop and then start Mail again. The database will get rebuilt and your messages should come back. You can then trash the index file.

I don't know why the emails duplicate BUT since I rebuilt the database it has never done it again. Good luck!

Lastly, I have heard about programs to remove duplicates but have never tried any.

Reaction score
where's my com.apple.mail?

"HD/library/preferences...." the list there skips from "...logwindow..." to "...mediaio...". "Spotlight" shows no such thing. Wheres' my "com.apple.mail.plist" ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Put it back!

Just put the com.apple.plist back where it was! I too experienced the "the original window where you have to set up your e-mail all over again" and decided to put back the one I had saved. Lo and behold, this time Mail came up with the duplicates gone. Magic. Why Mail decided to give me duplicates all of a sudden is a mystery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Just put the com.apple.plist back where it was! I too experienced the "the original window where you have to set up your e-mail all over again" and decided to put back the one I had saved. Lo and behold, this time Mail came up with the duplicates gone. Magic. Why Mail decided to give me duplicates all of a sudden is a mystery.

I haven't had problems with duplicate e-mail for quite some time now. Strange that every so often it happens. I know that some people say that Macs don't get viruses, but I'm wondering if this duplicate mail could be a virus ...

Reaction score
Mail is (was) showing duplicated incoming messages.

A virus? I doubt it. I only have ClamXav sentry running so I'll do a scan with something else as well, but it'll be a while before I do because I just determined that I had removed the other AV programs I had. But I promise that if I find anything suspicious I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

What do you use instead? Or are you using something like Gmail or some other webmail?

Yeah, I know this is old, but, yes, I use webmail, and have never set them up to be imported into Apple's Mail.

I know that some people say that Macs don't get viruses, but I'm wondering if this duplicate mail could be a virus ...

No. The people who say that know what they're talking about. It's kind of hard for a Mac to get a virus when there isn't one to get. Before anyone denies that, you must provide documentation of one to rebut that contention. Name, date, news story, etc....

Reaction score

Find that file and drag it to your Desktop. Now start up your Mail program and see if it's back to normal.
If it is, you can Trash that file you moved. Mail created a new one to replace it.
If for some reason you think you should keep the old file (more problems than you had before) you can.
Just drag it back into the Preferences folder and click YES to overwrite the one just created.

Hi Just tried this. Overwrote the file in preference. Opened mail and it takes me to page "welcome to mail". Now how do I go back to mail and my e-mails? Do I have to go through the steps to set up my mail account all over again? Please help. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I answered your Private Message.

What happened after putting the "original" plist file back?

Reaction score
duplicate mails

I pasted it back to preferences and tried to open mail however unsuccessful. Had to recreate Mailboxes! And now have two or more sets of duplicated e-mails.

Reaction score
I have found that in some instances while using IMAP in apple mail it does duplicate messages. I believe in some cases this may be due to the archival mail function for deletion. No matter how many times you delete a message it reappears in your box you deleted it from, and also keeps duplicating the messages.

I was able to resolve the issue for a mailbox for one of my clients by turning off the mail archival feature in the account settings for the affected account.

Once the mail is deleted, feel free to turn the archival back on. You will still have to remove the duplicates by hand however. Also, make darn sure you mean to delete the messages you're deleting because once you delete them with these settings, they're gone.

More info:
The problem seems to stem from the operation of moving the file from one folder to another. In essence you're asking the server to move the mail from your mail box, to the trash. Mail seems to get excited about this some times and messes the whole thing up. After turning off this option, the mail program ran for hours deleting archived messages off the server. Total data of duplicated messages was 5.2GB

Good luck and happy computing.

Screen shot 2012-03-27 at 5.43.59 PM.png

Reaction score
Mail Duplicating

Hey there,

Hopefully you guys still come to this thread.

I have just noticed that mail duplicates all emails and it's unacceptable.
I also noticed that when I reply from my mail client, the conversation doesn't continue as it does if I reply on the gmail server. Their conversation view (where as long as you reply to the same email without changing the subjects, it's all kept in one thread giving you a number in parentheses - those who use Gmail will know what I'm talking about) is gone and when I reply it creates a separate email!

This is crazy!!!

I love mail but these two things are impossible to ignore and I hope you can tell me what to do! I tried the suggestion with the library, and it is not there in mountain lion! There is no such file com.apple.mail.plist and there is no "Library" in hd > users > kate > Do you know what to do in 10.8 with these two things??

Much appreciated

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.