Airport Express Card, Power Mac G5

Reaction score
I've just been given a dual processor PowerMac G5 2.0GHZ and was wondering about either Airport or some other wireless internet card to use since I don't/can't get a wired network cable to my desk.
Inside the side lid, on the bottom says it has PCI-X slots and was wondering do I need to go out and by the Airport Express card from Apple or could I get a cheaper third party product that does the exact same thing? Are there some sort of compatibility issues or something I need to look out for?
Also, am I correct in saying that my G5 has PCI-X slots, because I was under the assumption that only dual core G5's had PCI-X, not dual processor G5's.
Amazon.com: APPLE Airport Extreme Card and Bluetooth Upgrade Kit M9870Z/A: Electronics
Would that be the card I need for the upgrade? And would I also need the external antenna?

Thank you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've just been given a dual processor PowerMac G5 2.0GHZ and was wondering about either Airport or some other wireless internet card to use since I don't/can't get a wired network cable to my desk.
Inside the side lid, on the bottom says it has PCI-X slots and was wondering do I need to go out and by the Airport Express card from Apple or could I get a cheaper third party product that does the exact same thing? Are there some sort of compatibility issues or something I need to look out for?
Also, am I correct in saying that my G5 has PCI-X slots, because I was under the assumption that only dual core G5's had PCI-X, not dual processor G5's.
Amazon.com: APPLE Airport Extreme Card and Bluetooth Upgrade Kit M9870Z/A: Electronics
Would that be the card I need for the upgrade? And would I also need the external antenna?

Thank you
The answers to your question are ...it depends.

Apple released multiple versions (4 to be exact) of the PowerMac G5 with the 2.0ghz processors.

This includes BOTH a 2.0ghz dual processor & 2.0ghz dual core configurations.

And...depending on the model...it has either PCI, PCI-X, or PCI-e expansion slots.

Depending on what configuration you have...will depend on what Airport card you need.

Go to the Apple menu, and select "About this Mac". It should say whether your Mac is a dual processor or a dual core setup.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Dual Cores have PCIE slots and not PCI-X. Also Dual Cores use DDR2 memory and do not have an AGP graphics card, of course a PCIE card. As Nick points out, 2GHz Dual processors are either PCI or PCI-X machine.

It is a Dual Processor and the Airport Extreme card is the go. Just plugs straight in and the inbuilt antenna clips on.

OP
M
Reaction score
According to the system profile, this is what it lists:

Model Identifier: PowerMac 7.2
Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2)

I'm assuming the above data will indicate that it is a dual processor 2.0 G5 based on what I've found online. However, I am finding conflicting statements on what PCI slot the motherboard carries. I've found one that indicated it was a PCI slot, and another that it was a PCI-X based on the tag on the bottom of the case.

After some more digging though, I realized that the system profile says I've got a nVidia GeForce FX 5200, with a Bus stated as, AGP.

I hope all this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
M
Reaction score
Have a look at this link. There are no less than three DP G5 2GHz models, and one Dual COre which it seems can now be ruled out, some with PCI and some with PCI-X slots.

Airport Extreme is still the go.

Apple Power Mac G5 Specs (All Power Macintosh G5 Technical Specs) @ EveryMac.com

This particular model, known as the PCI-X (2) would seem to be it with that graphics display card as standard:-

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X 2) Specs (Mid-2004 - M9455LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

Thank you so much for all the help. That makes sense of all the conflicting data i was getting online. I can't believe I didn't find that websit.
So that airport card listed in my first post would be the one?
Also, do I need to use an airport card? Or could I just use a cheaper 802.11g card?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.