• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Having trouble getting MPEG2 (from Sony HDD cam) to play on Mac Book

Reaction score
So I downloaded from the Sony to a PC onto a flash drive. From flash drive onto my MacBook. QT wouldn't recognize the vids. I've downloaded MPEG Streamclip but that won't play the MPEG vids either. Am I needing the QT MPEG playback component here???

I am running OS X 10.5.8.

What do people like to use for editing their short vids, and what's the easiest way to start uploading onto YouTube?

Thanks,
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
HDD camera files are a ***** to deal with. I just started having to work with them but luckily I have Final Cut Studio's Compressor app that will pretty much convert any file to any other type of file so it hasn't been too bad, just gives me an extra step.

If you don't have FCS, there is a plugin for Quicktime Player for viewing and exporting mpeg files, but it costs 20 bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
john, when you say PC, do you mean a non-Mac machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Yeah, the mpeg2 files on my SONY HDD camera will only play back in VLC.

However, the files will import into iMovie 09 just fine directly from the camera.

Short answer, yes, you'll need the MPEG2 component with Quicktime Pro to edit these clips in Quicktime, BUT, you do not need either if you simply import the clips directly into iMovie 09 by connecting the Camera to your Macbook.

Here's a little something strange that I've noticed with my Sony camera. Mine's a High Definition camera that also shoots in standard definition.

-For HD it uses AVCHD in various 1080i resolutions depending on the quality settings. These files are completely unplayable on my Macbook when copied to my hard drive, but they work perfectly when imported through iMovie.

-For SD it uses MPEG2 at 720x480. These files are playable on my Macbook with VLC (free) and in Quicktime if I had the MPEG2 playback component (money). These files also work perfectly when imported through iMovie.

-Here's the tricky bit, if the camera has any SD footage on it at all, that is all that iMovie will see when you go to do an import. So if you have HD footage that you think just doesn't work with iMovie 09, just back up all of your SD stuff and remove it from the camera and then the HD stuff will show up in the import browser.

Oh, and iMovie 09 has a direct to youtube uploader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
So I downloaded from the Sony to a PC onto a flash drive. From flash drive onto my MacBook.

Was this a drag & drop action or a import via some editing software?

If a drag & drop, did you copy every single file from the root of the camera? Does the flash drive have other content on it? If not all files were copied, you may have corrupted the structure. If the flash drive has other content on it, perhaps it is confusing the Apple software.

If via an editor, what is the container file type, AVI, etc, and what are the video and audio codecs within the files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.