1tb Portable External Hard Drive

Reaction score
So I have a ton of small external hard drives (a 250gb, a 120gb, an 80gb and a 60gb) but im trying to get rid of them and get a 1tb portable external hard drive.

I've been looking around and haven't found much, I was hoping to spend under $100 on one. The main problem i have is i want one that gets power off of the usb drive rather than a power cord.

Another alternative i was thinking was getting a 1tb internal hd and putting it in one of my cases. Does anyone know if you could just buy a 1tb hard drive thats the same size and style and put it in this case and it would work?

Newegg.com - Western Digital My Passport Studio 250GB 2.5" USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394a External Hard Drive Model WDMS2500TN

Thanks!
Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
It would probably work, but I don't think the Passport's are made to be opened. Mine is a little different than that one so I am not sure. I would just save some more cash and buy one. You can get the 750GB Passport for 149.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yeah but i've found a bunch of walkthroughs on how to open them. The only thing i was worried about was it working with a terabyte hd. I've noticed there arent very many terabyte hd's that dont need a power cable and i was wondering why this was?

Does it take more power to run a tb or is it because it gets too hot and over heats and needs the power to run a fan or something?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.