Configure Airport/Linksys Router UGH!

HLJ

Reaction score
I have an iBook that I just received from a friend. Tried to get onto airport via Linkys router but password keeps getting denied despite repeated attempts. I tried typing in the $ sign prior to the password to no avail. Here are my detes:

Linksys WRT54G2
Mac ibook
OSX Version 10.2.8

When I'm in System Prefs/Network/Airport, I am unable to delete existing networks. I also do not have an Advanced button. I am not getting any bars in my wireless icon on my screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The world awaits me tweating from my couch. Haha! JK!:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
What kind of security is the Linksys doing? Try defaulting the Linksys and starting over. Are other clients using the Linksys via wireless?

OP
H

HLJ

Reaction score
The security is WPA and the Linksys has already been reinstalled. As far as other clients, it's just me. I have a Mac desktop to which the router is hooked up and working perfectly. My network name appears on my laptop (when I hold down the wireless icon and see the available networks), I enter the password and it tells me that there is an error connecting to the router. If I try to go thru Internet Connect and type my password, it tells me that the password is incorrect.

Hope this makes sense!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You might have to upgrade the OS to get an option to use WPA, but I am not sure. It might be available in 10.3. I will do some digging...

Straight from Apple:

Requirements for WPA

To join a WPA network, a Macintosh computer must have:

* an AirPort or AirPort Extreme card (see Note)
* Mac OS X 10.3 or later
* AirPort software version 3.3 or later for the AirPort Card (available via Software Update)
* AirPort software version 3.2 or later for the AirPort Extreme Card (available via Software Update)

OP
H

HLJ

Reaction score
Thanks! Appreciate the help. The other security options that I have are WPA Enterprise, WPA2 Enterprise, WPA2 Personal, Radius and WEP. I tested by disabling the security and the router works. Not something that I want to keep doing however.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
No problem. That is what we are here for! So basically you have two choices:

1. Dumb down the security for all the other devices so the Mac can get online

or

2. Upgrade the Mac so you can use WPA

I would choose #2!

OP
H

HLJ

Reaction score
Ugh, now on to the upgrade. He gave me a Tiger reinstall disk (10.2.8 upgrade to 10.4.6) and now that's not working. Click on the icon and it tells me to restart. I do and nothing happens. Need to look into firmware updates I'm assuming. Jeez, free computers are a hassle!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.